My baby's tongue is turning white, how do I fix that or stop it? And whats wrong?

My baby girl is 8 weeks old and I have had to change her formula several times because of a problem with acid reflux. The only formula I have found that she can hold down has been turning her mouth white. I dont think it's healthy but I dont know. Is there something I can do to help this? Whats wrong?

jess0204

Asked by jess0204 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Health

• It sounds like thrush. I would call your nurse in duty and she can set you up with an appointment first thing tomorrow and tell you what to do in the mean time.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Maybe its thrush. Is it on the inside of her cheeks too? I'd call the doc so they can look and give you some medicine for it.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 11:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• my ds also had a problem with every formula we tried. after talking to my sister who is a RN, she told me that one of her friends (also a RN) had a baby and had to put him on "baby zantac" due to his reflux. I had to switch dr's to get the medicine for my son, but the first night on it he slept for 8hr straight! it's worth a shot. some of the special formulas are outrageously priced!
    the white stuff sounds like thrush, he also had that. when he had it he refused to drink any formula. he only drank pedialite, cut in half with water.
    hope this helps
    nvedwards

Answer by nvedwards at 12:06 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My daughter had thrush & I didnt even know it. We went to a check up & found she had it. She also had acid reflux too. She slept in her bouncy seat for the first 4 mo. because she just could not lay down without spitting up. She's 2 now & really doesnt have much problem with it now thank goodness.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 12:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• that is a sign of thrush or diabetes (not sure I spelled it right, but in case you didnt understand that last word, its where a person has problems with blood their blood sugar) Anyways. its probably thrush. you can go and get drops for it. and you should clean out the babies mouth as much as possible!!
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 12:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2009