My 5 and 7 year old get in bed between 8 & 8:30 every night and it's 11 and I am still fighting with them to go to sleep......HELP!!!

teacheraimie

Asked by teacheraimie at 12:03 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If someone has the answer to this I will love them forever. I have eliminated naps, woken them up extra early, still no luck!
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 12:06 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My son was the same way. So what I had to do was establish a bed time rutine (sp?) of PJs, teeth brushing, tuck in, and I leave shut the door and leave it at that. If he came out I walked him back to bed said good night and closed the door. He had 2 chances for that after that i walked him back to bed and just shut the door. For a few nights he would cry, but after awhile he realized that when it's bed time it's bed time. The hardest thing is ignoring him. You have to be strong and no matter how much they cry/throw a fit, you can;t crumble. You need to stay strong, cause in the ling run it pays off. Now he goes to bed at 8-9pm gets up at 7-8am, and I get a good nights sleep and me time. The same goes for nap. I also don't suggest cutting out naps if you can help it. it makes them extra cranky and harder to manage. good Luck!
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My problem is that all 4 of the kids share a room...if one is up they all stay up.My 4yr old is the one that likes to keep everyone up.She also is the one that crawls into bed with us in the middle of the night!!They wake up early and we start bed routine at 7:30 so they are in at 8!!Tonight wasn't too bad...all asleep by a little after 9!
    ArmyWife041408

Answer by ArmyWife041408 at 2:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I was putting my almost 7 YO and 9YO to bed at 8-8:30 but they didn't seem too tired. They have to wake up at 6:45. So we get them started brushing their teeth, picking out school clothes, going to the bathroom and making sure their water bottles have water in them at 7:30. After they do all that, without a fight, they get a snack. Then they get in bed between 8-8:30. We snuggle with them for a few minutes, tuck them in and then they can lay in their bed and read until 9. At 9, we go in there and shut off their lights. Since my son gets scared of the dark and misses me, I tell him I will check on him in a little bit. So after about 1/2 hr-1 hr, I check on him. If he is still awake, I lay down with him and rub his head, back and help him relax. He usually falls asleep after that.

TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:34 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• That seems kind of early to go to bed.. IMO.. They need 10 hours for good health.. They aren't getting it if they are awake at 11pm. Try putting the youngest down at 8:30 and the 7 yr old at 9pm..(My 9 yr old goes to bed at 9:30.. and for successful bedtimes he gets to stay up a bit later on Fruday or Saturday.)

.If they share a room..that may have something to do with it.. But my 9 and 3 yr old share a room and go to bed atthe same time some nights..
    StarMommy77

Answer by StarMommy77 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Taking away naps and waking them up too early only harms their immune system and their sleep.

I homeschool now and allow my kiddos to sleep in til 8am and My 3 yr still needs a 2 1/2 hour nap in the afternoon.. If I took her naps away she would be a wreak. Not fun for her or me.
    StarMommy77

Answer by StarMommy77 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I have since reinstituted nap time b/c it wasn't helping anyway. I don't wake him up early just for fun, that is the time we have to get up to get the girls to school. On weekends and no school days they will sleep until 10 or 11.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 11:06 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Are the kids getting enough activity during the day to wear them out?

I would suggest trying to have an hour of high physical activity play after dinner, followed by a nice wind down routine. You could work a combination of any of the following: bath time, reading, short video, tooth brushing, snuggling. Depending what time you eat dinner, you may want to sleep in a before bed snack with a small glass of milk (it usually makes people sleepy).

Then once you get everyone tucked in, keep the room dark and quiet. Don't let them listen to loud music or videos in bed. Maybe hang out with them for a few minutes, having them close their eyes and think about something that makes them happy.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My 6 year old read book before bed to herself and sometime she just fall asleep.
    Jad30

Answer by Jad30 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• 8 or 8:30 is NOT too early for a 5 and 7 year old to go to bed - especially if they school in the morning!
    Anonymous