HOW DO I GET FULL CUSODY FROM A DEAD BEAT DAD WHO IS NOW WHERE TO BE FOUND?

I HAVE 2 CHILDREN WHO SHOULD BE GETTING CHILD SUPPORT BUT I HAVENT RECIEVED ANYTHING IN 9 YEARS. I TRIED TO GET A PASS PORT FOR MY CHILDREN BECAUSE MY BOYFRIEND AND I WANT TO TAKE A VACATION, BUT THEY TOLD ME THAT I NEEDED THERE PERMISSION OR FULL CUSTODY. THERE DAD QUIT HIS JOB SO HE WOULDNT HAVE TO PAY AND DOESNT WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE CHILDREN..WHAT CAN I DO?

DYvetteS

Asked by DYvetteS at 12:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• Petition the courts to have his rights dissolved.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 12:14 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• yep.. Petition the courts to get Full/Sole Custody and to have his Partiental Rights dissolved (sorry i can't spell)
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 12:20 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• shit im in the other situation....my husband has a kid and that kids mom NEVER let him see him...but my husband cant do anything about it because its up to the BM to allow him....WTF....laws IMO just make sense sometimes.....Good luck with getting full custody!!
    krazi_beautyful

Answer by krazi_beautyful at 12:20 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Petition stating your reasons are child abandonment.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 12:30 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• you need to talk to a family law lawyer in your area, the best things to do changes depending on where you live, all states have different laws when it comes to custody when a parent cant be found. Some states you have to petion the courts some times you have to file an abondanment claim it just depends where you are
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 12:33 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• krazi_beautyful... i hear you, my brother is going through that as well, and I've been helping him as much as possible... my nephew and daughter were born the same day... and have a really good bond and the BM makes it nearly impossible for my brother to get his son.
    OP.. I'm about there with my daughters father... he hardly ever shows up and when he does it's not for her and he never paid a dime on her.
    well good luck to everyone!
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:24 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Yes, just make your court date immediately and petition for full legal custody. He will likely not even show up for court and you will get what you want. That reminds me that I actually need to make my own court date for the same thing.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• You could also ask him outright to sign over his rights to the kids. Then he will no longer be responsible for child support. That usually gets dead beat dads/moms going. They usually would love nothing more than to get out of having to pay a dime. It is less expensive if you can get him to agree than having to go to court time and time agian. You can make him pay for the lawyer and just say this is the last thing you will ever have to pay for, for these kids. He will most likely jump on it. And if he agrees you only have to have one lawyer. You won't need two sep. lawyers. Just an easier quicker fix. HTH
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 6:48 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• you can claim abandonment and have his rights taken away
    LeelansMom

Answer by LeelansMom at 7:41 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It is a federal violation to give legal advise if you are not a practicing attorney with a license. However if I were in your situation I would contact an attorney's office and ask them what options you have that you can do on your own. If the father is no where to be found you may have to find ways to notify him that you plan to petition the court to terminate his rights. This is generally done by placing an ad in the newspaper where you "think" he is residing or his last known location. But I would definately contact a lawyer to find out what your county's rules are regarding domestic relations, you can also find the information on your states legislature page under rules of civil procedure. Hope that helps. Best of luck
    My2BoyznMe0508

Answer by My2BoyznMe0508 at 8:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2009