If there are long lists of parent waiting to adopt children then why is it that we have to many children waiting to be adopted?

Is it because most people want babies? Or what? I read somewhere on here that its very hard to adopt an american baby and that there are long lists of people waiting. So how is that we have so many kids waiting to be adopted?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm guessing $$$$. Not from experience though, but I imagine it's EXPENSIVE to adopt
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• There is just so much red tape. I know they have to make sure the child goes to an appropriate home, but there should be a better system for ensuring that. I have a friend that adopted a child, and wants another so bad, but they can't afford to go through the process again. They take such good care of their son, and it bothers me that there are so many kids who need homes, and people who want them, yet can't get them.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 12:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Most parents want an infant...which leaves toddler age and older in foster care. It's actually quite sad.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 12:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I understand that its hard process and it makes sense they dont want to put a child in a home that's not safe so they need to do research on that family but what about a family that already adopted one and is doing well with that one...like sandra said above about her friend wanting another one. Shouldn't they be allowed another one at maybe a cost that only covers checking up on the kid or whatever. Ahh its so frustrating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• What really gets to me is that they have some many precautionary procedures when it comes to ADOPTING a child, but any scumbag can give birth to a child and give it a terrible life.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• the people waiting are wanting babies from other countries.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It's very $$$, most people want infants, white, and who are very healthy.
    The children who are up for adoption range in age, often have siblings, are typically black (look at statistics) and are special needs.
    It's very sad.
    I am planning on doing a child/sibling adoption in a couple of years.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 12:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Nobody wants older children, or mentally handicapped kids. Those make up the majority of the kids who are in need. That and more than 3/4 of the kids up for adoption are not white. Most of the families looking for kids are looking for pretty, normal white babies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It's cheaper for me to go through fertility treatments and have my own children. I would gladly take an older child...but between the money and the invasiveness of home studies...I'll stick with having my own.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• There are not enough parents willing to adopt older children.  An older child in the foster care system is more likely to have serious emotional problems and need a lot of help adjusting.  I would love to adopt an older child, but I would have to be a non-working, stay-at-home mom, and have the money for the adoption and other expenses.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2009