When your child had jaundice were you scared??

When my daughter got jaundce 2 days after birth, everyone that I told didnt really act like it was a big deal. But me on the other hand is so scared. I am still going through it. Shes now a week old and her jaundice is getting better but im still scared. My babys father isnt even worried because his mom said he had it when he was born and so he thinks that she will automaticly be fine. How do you think that I should be feeling?? How did you feel??

PattieCake09

Asked by PattieCake09 at 12:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mine had it too 2 days after birth, I was scared at first but then I got better. Its not so serious anymore, there are so many things we can do to help it go away quicker than 20 yrs ago. babies use to have it for weeks or months at a time and you really couldnt do much about it. The billi lights really help alot though. And is you baby is almost over it then I think you have nothing to be scared about.
    sarahdalenej

Answer by sarahdalenej at 12:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Is she being treated with a biliblanket? Jaundice is usually not a real serious thing unless it is severe and not improving. I know it's hard not to worry, but try. My daughters were both jaundiced, one of them cleared up quickly, the other took longer, but both are fine now! If her blood tests show the bilirubin decreasing, I wouldn't be concerned.

Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't be too concerned. We just set our sun in the living room by the patio door and let the sun shine on him. It went away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My youngest was my only one of three jaundiced. She just needed natural light in the hospital nursery. But that happened three days after birth that she became jaundiced. Her nurse that day was a real b-she told me we had to leave even though my ped said stay for the natural light to make sure it was working. I was so scared cuz neither of my other kids had it and I never knew anyone who did. That nurse didn't help matters either. I was a nervous wreck cuz of her. In hindsight i would have had my ped write me a script to stay in hospital for treatment baby, like that. He just apparently didn't even tell the nurses anything, they just weren't told we weren't being discharged so it was hard to believe what i was told by dr. Get things in writing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My almost 6 month old daughter had jaundice and it terrified me, too. She had to be on a bili-blanket and it made it hard to even hold her the first week. We were just thankful she was able to come home right away. It took her about a week and then she got over it. She will be just fine, but I know it is hard not to worry. If you have any questions, it is all still fairly fresh in my mind, just contact me and I'd be happy to answer them.
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 12:39 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• no not really cause i knew that the doctors were gonna take care of her
    Myasmommy13

Answer by Myasmommy13 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I believe its 1 out of 3 babies that have jaundice. I don't think it's anything to be worried about. But my lil one never had it at all, so I don't know how I would feel.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:56 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Our third child, born in 2007, had jaundice. While a small portion of me was scared, I was remarkably calm about it. I was more upset with the daily trips to the hospital for blood tests than the actual jaundice itself.

Why was I not upset? The doctor was calm and not overly worried. My husband wasn't overly worried. The nurses weren't overly concerned. I did some research on the internet and learned that it really wasn't very severe. The rational side of my personality told me that overreacting and getting worked up would only make things worse for both the baby and myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I wasn't worried, but I'm also a peds nurse... so I knew what to expect.
    Don't be worried. Jaundice is very normal for newborns. It isn't a problem unless the numbers get too high... and in a term infant the levels almost never get high enough to cause any problems (the highest I have seen is a 25 and he was just fine... usually they want the level below 12... and usually doctors are fine with watching numbers up to 18) Sometimes a baby has to go back to the hospital for phototherapy... but you are past the risk of having to go back if she is already getting better.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• We had to stay in the hospital an extra night because of my sons jaundice. I wasn't really worried about it because it's a very common thing and they explained it to me.
    yunglovers143

Answer by yunglovers143 at 1:14 AM on Jan. 7, 2009