Why dont people show respect to our men and women in uniform??

I hear so much disrepect about the army and the people in it...
am I the only one who feels this is wrong??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• People like that are just uneducated and immature. They are mad at the war and take it out on the soldiers who fight for us. They didn't decide to go to war....their just pieces in a complicated chess game!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 2:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Because we are a selfish society who have not been taught to show respect to our men and women in the military. We do not know what it means to have the freedoms we have and how hard they work to grant us those freedoms. Once we learn that-then I think they will get the respect they deserve.
    plaidster

Answer by plaidster at 2:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• At least they don't get spit on and called baby killers like we were when the guys I served with in the 60's & 70's were!! I'm just amazed Jane Fonda hasn't gone to Baghdad and met with al-Quida!!
    I saw a siggy that said "If you don't want to stand behind our military, you're more than welcome to stand in front of them" Don't support them, GO stand in front of them , I dare ya!!!
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 4:00 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• sorry to say US has never shown any respect to soldiers. Just look back at history. disrespect of soldiers didn't start with the iraq war.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 6:34 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I respect our men and women in uniform - I have even thought of enlisting as a professional in my field. But I don't respect the reasons why we are over in Iraq at the moment. It is possible to respect the uniform and not agree with the conflict. Even people in the military, I know personally of several, do not agree with why they are being sent over. They do it because their boss tells them to do it. Privately they can say what they think - publicly they cannot speak out against their Commander and Chief or about the military in general. It is the same way a person can be pro Israel as a state but not agree with how Israel is handling the situation with Palestine. Its not unamerican to disagree with our country. Look at all the people who disagree with our president elect. That isn't being unamerican. Neither was disagreeing with Bush. In fact, voicing our concern is the most American liberty we have.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It upsets me..REALLY upsets me.. Our country needs a huge kick in the ass for disrespecting any military. Stupid uneducated people who think they know it all.. UGH!!!

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Some of the older generations will thank my husband and I for our service. Our generation..not so much. Do we expect to be revered and people genuflect in front of us? No..But we also don't deserve to get ripped off because we are in the military either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Most of our general citizens don't agree with the war so they think they are entitled to hate the soldier as well. All they are doing is following orders.
    Stand behind our troops! If not then feel free to stand in front of them!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It's because people are either ignorant, or just hateful. I have come to the conclusion that the people in this country don't understand our military at all. It's not like military men and women can just say "hey, I don't like this war, I won't do my job today". People are so disrespectful, and some military men and women have been called baby killers, and murderers, etc, and it hurts deeply.

I am proud of them, I don't agree with the conflict either. My husband is proud US Army and his friend and himself are the best people in the world. He works his ass off for this country and people couldn't care less. But I notice our men and women, and he has been thanked when in uniform...
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It is because the ignorance and shallowness of our society. Kids are NOT taught US history in school--an in depth study. They have no idea of what our country stands for or what it has taken to keep it. And from the FDR presidency on---we have become a society who thinks it is up to Government to take care of us---not us to take care of ourselves and our government.
    Anonymous