HELP!! My 14 year old son has an ear infection.

We've been to the ER twice already today because he is in so much pain. The last time they gave us ear drops to numb his ear but nothing else for pain. We are alternating advil and tylenol every 3 hours. He is screaming in pain AGAIN and it's not time for his meds. What should I do? ER a third time today??? I'm so frustrated... He hasn't had an ear infection since he was 2 years old.

supermom11995

Asked by supermom11995 at 2:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Health

• Why haven't they given you a prescription? I wouldnt go back if you have already been there...if they haven't done anything then they wont...take him to the doc tomorrow.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:32 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I was tipped off to a product a few ear infections back, it's Simisilin drops (sp?) it's homeopathic drops. you can find it at walgreens or cvs or walmart or kmart or where ever. normally near the swimmer's ear products or eye drops. They have store brand too that works just the same. OMG they work awesome! I put it in my ear and lay on my side (I use them at bedtime when I have an ear infection) or during the day put them in then put cotton in my ear. Give them a try. They work great!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• They gave us a prescription for the ear drops that numb it up. They took the edge off for about an hour. The drops are once every six hours. I don't know why they won't give him anything else for the pain. It's so irritating. The child is screaming and crying in pain. I thought the ear drops were going to work since it looked good for the first hour, but now it seems they aren't. And yes, I'm more than a little ticked at the ER. What good are they of they're not going to help? Two ER copays in less than 24 hours. I've been up dealing with this since 3AM Tuesday morning. Almost a full 24 hours here I've been up... and so has he. :0(
    supermom11995

Answer by supermom11995 at 2:43 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• the drops I mentioned don't have a time limit on them as to dosage. they do something to equalize the pressure too which is the main cause of the pain. seriously go try them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Heat up a spoon on the stove burner
    when the spoon is really hot; fill it with olive oil it will make the oil warm and not too hot
    pour the entire teaspoon in the ear
    stick 1/2 garlic clove in for the plug

Believe me it really works.
    He probably has a lot of fluid build up behind the eardrum and the garlic draws it out.
    I had instant relief. Well in about an hour.
    Jesusiswelcome

Answer by Jesusiswelcome at 4:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• If you have a GNC around anywhere you can buy ear candles. They will litterally pull all of the infection out. you may have to do it several times but they are GREAT. I just so happened up on them. They are long hollow sticks, one end you place in your ear the other you set on fire, be sure you have a wet towel over his head, and a tin pie pan to put on it. (you'll get it when you see the pic). They will help so much. Give them a try!
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 6:25 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My mom used onion juice in our ears and that's what I use. I just had an ear infection too myself and that's what I used. Oh hell the pain from the ear infection was horrible. Poor kid.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 8:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• do you have any good pain medication for urself if he is 14 then i would give him some or 1/2 then if it doesn't help in 1/2 hour give him the other 1/2
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Have you tried a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel? I run water through a coffee pot to heat the water for mine. You might want to put some cold water in there as well. The heat will help with the pain because it aids the blood flow in that area. Could he also have a tooth ache? The nerve for the ear and the teeth are on the same branch.
    IndyBelle985

Answer by IndyBelle985 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2009