Can SIDS happen to a child over 2 years old?

I thought this only happened to infants.

(Sorry for the sad subject)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At that age it would be considered SUDC (sudden unexpected death of a child) not SIDS as they are no longer infants anymore.But it is the same concept of they don't know what caused the childs death.
    clusterkid

Answer by clusterkid at 4:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2011

• If a child dies in their sleep, and the autopsy is clear, blood tests are clear, etc, there is ZERO reason for the child to have died, then yes, they can rule it as SIDS. Very rare, but possible.
    Anonymous

• i always ask my self this! because the way my child sleeps he's almost two and in his toddler bed, and i'm always just wondering the way he sleeps if he's going to get SIDS and it freaks me out! I would ask more to your pediatrics doctor, so you know the right information! xoxo.
    mommytobeeeee

Answer by mommytobeeeee at 7:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2011

• No. They say SIDS can happen at one year or younger to be considered SIDS.

Answer by gemgem at 1:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2011

• I think the chances would be very rare, considering the child's ability to move around.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2011

• No 12 months and under.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2011

• SIDS is is Infant death. I don't see a 2+ year old as an infant.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:41 PM on Nov. 6, 2011

• Can you give more details OP.. Typically SIDS is an unexplained death of an infant 12 months or younger. I can see how someone might call an older child's death SIDS if everything else has been ruled out.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2011

• Well, I am relunctant to say much because I know so little. I know of a mom who just lost her 2.5 year old baby. They called it SIDS. I would never question it to the family or anyone else, but it didn't sound right. It doesn't really matter why, it is so wrong when a baby dies. My heart is breaking for this family.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2011

• *reluctant

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2011