How can I get my 2yr old to clean up his toys?

A month or 2 ago I would tell him "okay its time to clean up your toys" and he would do it no questions asked. but now if i ask him to clean his toys it seems like he pays no mind to what im saying at all.. he just doesn't do it. suggestions?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 2:41 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• make it fun...sing the clean up song or songs lol. make it so he doesn't think its a "chore" make it so he thinks it a game
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:45 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Oh and dont forget to tell him what a good boy he is...alot of positive feed back
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:46 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• haha you know what i didnt even think about that. i used to watch barney i should know that darn clean up song! thanks!

exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 2:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I used to set a timer for about 5 min and see if he could get all his toys picked up before the "ding". I would put on 'Flight of the Bumblebee' and he would buzz around the house trying to win.

BTW - I never told my son he was a "good boy", sorry but that's what you say to a dog not a child (imho). What I told him is, "I am glad you do such good work".
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 3:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• LOL I dont know but if you find out let me know so I can teach my 4 year old to do it LOL
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 3:44 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Since he USED to do it and has now chosen to not do it, discipline. Put him in time out and when he decides to do what he's told he can get out.

Yes, it does work. I do it with my 2 year old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 AM on Jan. 7, 2009