Boy, 6, misses bus so he tries driving to school

I am really trying to NOT being judgemental BUT how can a mother still be sleeping and not help a 6 year old get ready to school and catch the bus?? The mother was SLEEPING????? WTF? My son is only 4 years old so please help

understand this! Is it normal for a child that young to wake up, get dress, eat and fix his/hers back pack and catch the bus by herself?

WICOMICO CHURCH, Va. - Having missed his bus, a 6-year-old Virginia boy tried to drive to school in his family's sedan — and crashed...

Police say the boy, who wasn't identified, missed the bus, took the keys to his family's 2005 Ford Taurus and started toward school while his mother was asleep. He ran off the road several times before hitting an embankment and utility pole. Police say he wasn't wearing a safety belt.
/www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28524924/?gt1=43001

Paty_hotmommy

Asked by Paty_hotmommy at 3:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My DH grew up in the country and was horribly neglected. He walked a mile or more to kindergarden by himself. He had no lunch...used to sneak bites of other childrens lunches when no one was looking. Teased for wearing the same socks and clothes in the same week...no school supplies, the list goes on. I grew up much much different, so at first the concept of this was so hard for me. I know every story is different but this and worse happen every day...sad but true. Just try to be the best parent you can...count your blessings...and help the less fortunate in any way you can especially the children.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My daughter is 6 and I wake up with her every morning....I just don't see how a parent could let this happen??
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 3:19 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I agree with you! I just can't imagine NOT getting up with my son until he is at least in college LOL!
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 3:36 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It just gives me tears in my eyes thinking of this poor little boy - obviously raising himself - so worried after missing the bus that he tries to drive there himself.

Shame, shame, shame on that woman.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Let's try a little HARDER to not be judgmental. I think it is absurd that a six year old should be responsible for getting himself ready. But we don't know that he normally gets ready by himself, or that he even did get ready by himself. The mother could have woken him up, got him dressed, fed him breakfast, then laid down on the couch and fallen asleep waiting for the bus. Although it's not likely, it's completely possible. I have fallen asleep on the couch while my two year old was playing early in the morning. There are possibilities beyond irresponsible terrible parenting.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• toriandgrace - I do agree with your point... I just find it crazy to fall asleep while your know your child is about to leave the house (Maybe because i am obsessed with the doors being unlock).
    I dont knwo... this story is way too strange! Why would that kid get so nervous about missing the bus to the point of getting the car keys?
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 5:03 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• When my step daughter lived with her mom. She was in K by the way. She use to get up every morning herself. And catch the bus. Crazy I know but it happens more than ppl think. It wasn't cause this mother worked nights, she didn't work at all. Just to lazy to get her own child up for school. She also went w/o bfast. And most of the time the teacher would have her some kind of snack b/c she suspected she wasn't getting enough to eat at home.
    Now you think that is bad, she also had to care for her newborn sis, cook dinner for her and her mom, and occasionally moms bf. All that at 5 yo!! So just think that is prob the least of that little boys problems. Maybe he was scared he wouldn't get to eat for the day if he didn't get to school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My kids are 15, 10 & 8 and I am up every morning making them breakfast and making sure they get to school.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:21 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I would jump to the conclusion that mom overslept and the kid tried to do it on his own. I know that there are many children who do have to get them selves up and ready in the morning and have way too many responsibilities, but why does everyone seem to be jumping to the conclusion that this is a horrible lazy mom?
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• This woman is a candidate for "parental wimp syndrome," a term from "Cures for Parental Wimp Syndrome." She is not providing supervision for her child, thus she is leaving the child without a parent, which is a form of abandonment. This is deplorable.

It is as deplorable as yesterday's story about a four-year-old who shot his babysitter multiple times because the young man stepped on his foot, I might add, "accidentally." The boy went into a closet in the family trailer and took out a shotgun, no less, and shot the babysitter because he was mad about him stepping on his foot. This is ridiculous. These parents are candidates for state intervention and monitoring.

"Children learn what is right and wrong from their parents and those around the (T. Zirpoli). Just being physically in the house and allowing a child to essentially "raise him or herself," that's not parenting; that's caretaking.
    cylicious

Answer by cylicious at 10:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2009