how do you get 2 overactive children to stop tearing down clothes?

every time i put my boys down for a nap the first thing they go to is the clothes hung up and in the drawers. they get them out and sprawl them out everywhere. i have not folded laundry in a long timebecause of this, but yesterday i decided to go ahead and fold them again and now they are back on the floor after 4 hours of doing laundry. any suggestions? and yeah i take them outside (when they''re good that is the only thing they love so i try to make it a reward not a necessity)

Asked by meliscool72 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• Make them have to sit there and fold them and put them away. Every time. After your laundry is clean, take their stuff in there and make them do it. When they don't say, "Aw. Bummer, guess you don't get to go outside today."

Answer by hallen08 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would explain to them that it is hard work to fold those clothes and they need to help clean them up now. Tell them that if they do it again they will have to sit in time out and then they will have to help clean them up again. If all else fails put a lock on the cabinet/drawers!

Answer by Strssdmom72 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Move them?

Answer by Chris127 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Moving the clothes is an excellent idea...try having them help you pick them up, fold them and put them away. If they see how hard it is ...maybe they will appreciate your hard work. Explain that everytime they make a mess...they will be picking it up.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 5:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Yeah, I'd move them. We have plastic drawers set up in the closet for the kids' folded clothes, and we have the closet latched shut so they can't destroy what I've folded. Good luck!

Answer by faeriemamma at 5:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I agree with making them help pick them back up. They should get some kind of time out or lose a toy, and also help clean up the mess.

Answer by robinann5 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2008