When can you tell if an infant has a sore throat?

My two month old has been coughing and making weird gurggling sounds when he swallows then I realized yesterday that MY throat kind of hurts so I'm wondering if we could be sharing something. He isn't running a fever.

greeneyedfae

Asked by greeneyedfae at 6:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We went through this a couple of months ago with my DD. She started sleeping lots (like 16 hours out of the day) and would pull off her bottle several times before being able to finish it. When I took her to the Ped. we discovered that her throat was really irritated (just a viral thing). I just switched her to cold formula and juices and it helped just enough to keep her drinking until the virus passed (about a week). I'd take him to the Ped and have him checked out just in case, especially when your dealing with throat issues (could be Strep).
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 7:02 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• With a small child, symptoms are usually refusal to eat altogether, or just taking a drink and being hesitant to take another drink. Increased swallowing sometimes due to wanting to keep throat moist. But if he will let you look, that'd be great. Sore throats sometimes occur simply due to drainage from the nose.
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2009