My dh passed and i will receive soc security, will i also loose medicaid?

I know i have to call welfare about the medicaid, but i was wondering if anyone knew the answer. Like i posted, my dh passed on 12/14, i will receive social security, does this mean I will loose medicaid? my Medications = $600 per month without the medicaid.
thanks for any help

lil_Show

Asked by lil_Show at 7:30 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• It's possible, but sometimes you do have the right to waive the soc. sec. money if you need to. I'd check into it with both the soc. sec. office and social services.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 7:35 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I don't have an answer for you but I wanted to just send my condolences for you losing your husband. (((hugs)))
    Janette81

Answer by Janette81 at 7:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• The Medicaid eligibility has to change. If you receive the social security it wil simply be considered income. Which so long as it does not go above the eligibility criteria for your county you should be able to keep it. However I would contact your case worker and she can give you a definite answer. best of luck and my condolences for your loss.
    My2BoyznMe0508

Answer by My2BoyznMe0508 at 8:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Hi, I am so sorry for your loss :-( My step daughter's mother died in a car accident when she was a baby. She is now 9 years old. My husband recieves social security for her. A few years ago, we could not get her on medicaid because the socail security was considered income and it put us over the income requirements. Social Security will affect your income and if it goes over the income requirements, it will affect your medicaid. I know that where I live in Illinois there is a program where you can get medicaid but pay like $15/month for it if you are in the next income bracket above the free medicaid. Ask your case worker about that.
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 9:51 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think it is based on what amount you receive. I don't know how old you are... but if you are old enough to get medicare, you might be able to get medicaid for the other half?? I would ask.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:53 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Sorry for your loss...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:54 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Sorry for your loss. An idea would be to look into programs to help with prescription costs. The ones that go through the drug companies and give FREE or very reduce prescriptions (not the ones you pay to get reduce costs). Montel had one and several others have them too. Just google it.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 11:58 AM on Jan. 7, 2009