China for the whitehouse,right now?

Pres.and laura Bush just ordered new china for the whitehouse do you agree with this and why?The reason they say they will be getting new is because of wear on the ones they orderd when he first got in office.The final cost for this is 485,000 but there is a special fund set up for this and we don't have to pay for it.Imo i think it's ok but that does seem like a lot i'm just glad we don't have to pay for it...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• First, a new set is NOT made for every new President. Up until now, the Bush's have been using the same china made at the very end of Clinton's administration.
    Second, it takes a while to design and get made. It's not like it was orderd yesterday. This was probably put in motion over a year ago.
    The china is used until it is worn or too many pieces are missing/broken. Then the White House staff will let it be known that the time is approaching when it will be embarassing at state functions. New china is designed and ordered.

Last, the Obama's will NOT be redecorating the White House. They will be redoing the residential areas only.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• That's a lot of $$ for some damn china lol. I can see getting new but for that much, hell no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• This is absolutely disgusting!! I don't care if we don't have to pay for it!! There are children going hungry, families losing their homes and people without life saving health insurance!! This repulses me!! Can't wait to get Bush out of there!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i think thats to much we deal with having old stuff in these hard economic times why don't they, because they entertain kings and queens well they'll be out very soon so what does it matter?

kim168

Answer by kim168 at 8:15 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Pretty funny since the Obamas will probably come in and buy a whole bunch of new china and redecorate the White House as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• IDK, if I am not paying for it it's none of my business. It seems like a lot to me, then again I am not a soon to be former President or First Lady and I don't entertain many people at once. If my fine china got used a lot, then I would probably spend some dough on it though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I was not aware of this, but unless there is a fund to pay for it, no it is not a good time to be spending money on china!
    momjack53

Answer by momjack53 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• China!!! RIGHT NOW???THATS STUPID !the obamas will be in office an there gonna turn around an buy some too!!?aaahhhh!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Who cares, they aren't taking it with them, so I'm sure it will get used by future Presidents. It costs so much because of the amount they have to buy for the White House parties. I'm guessing no one will be bashing the Obama's when they spend a ton of money to decorate the White House to their taste. Times will be just as tough but then it will be a grand idea...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• haha..every pres/first lady do things like this...like another pp said, at least they aren't taking it with them, like someone else did. you guys should know by now, the govt spends money on stuff that you or i would never spend. besides, they do entertain more than parties of 10...like most of us do when we hold a 'fancy shindig'. all first wives come in and change things, as well....CHANGE costs money..get used to it.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:45 AM on Jan. 7, 2009