Does anyone have pointers on how to break nighttime feedings? I have been feeding KJ bigger meals before bed (veggies, cereal) but that hasn't seemed to do much for the want of a bottle in the middle of the night.

kenricsmama

Asked by kenricsmama at 8:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm going through the same thing right now! My son's 7 months old on the 14th and wakes to eat around 12am and then again around 3-4am. He actually has stopped waking for the 3-4am feeding over the past 3 nights, however now he has me up at around 5:40am! So It's not a winning situation really lol. I've been getting up from his whines in the night as well, but I just put the soother back in and he stops and goes back to sleep. So if your baby uses a soother I'd suggest trying that! I've been told if they wake around the same time, it's habit not hunger.
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 8:32 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Baby food has fewer calories than formula or breastmilk. It's not usually going to be a factor in whether or not they will sleep through the night.

If KJ is still waking hungry, KJ needs to be fed. The only thing would be to increase the calories during the day....but even that may not work.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:33 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Depends on if he is truly hungry or it's just habit. When babies go through growth spurts their tummies are still the same size even though they need more calories to compensate for the growth. If your sure he isn't in the middle of a growth spurt ie.. he used to sleep through the night but all of a sudden is waking in the middle of the night for a feeding. If it's habit replace the feeding with a bottle of water. Took my son three or four times of getting plain water before he stopped waking in the middle of the night to be fed. Good luck mama.

norbert

Answer by norbert at 8:37 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• try a thicker oatmeal. I feed my almost 9 month old son his veggies, formula and baby food through out the day. And at 8pm I feed him a thick bowel of infant oatmeal mixed with apple juice and cinnamon. He eats a hole bowel. goes to bed at 9 and wakes up at 10am the next morning....
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 8:39 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• (sigh) Why do people even have babies if they aren't willing to do the things they need to to keep them happy?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think that last answer was completely inappropriate. Whoever sent that in needs to realize that there are many factors to raising a child. perhaps this lady holds a job as well as taking care of her baby. Therefore, she needs the rest. also, doctors teach us that 12 lbs is the magic number (when the should start sleeping through the night). She's probably just as concerned as she is tired, and there's no reason to make her feel guilty about wanting a couple of extra Zzz's.

Have you tried letting him whine for five or ten minutes? maybe when he realizes you won't come running in the middle of the night, he'll go back to sleep...if it's just habit, that is. if he really is hungry, he does need to be fed. try feeding him some solids and half a bottle of warm formula at nighttime. that's worked when a couple of my friends had problems...the sustinence of the food and the comfort of the bottle all in one.
    MommyToJessica

Answer by MommyToJessica at 10:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Babies tummies are very small, even at one year, and they fill and empty quickly, and babies grow a hell of a lot faster than we do,making their caloric needs very high and frequent feedings are indeed, necessary. If your baby is waking in the night to eat, likely he is hungry and NEEDS to eat. Any food he ate before bed is probably digested and utilised within a few short hours. If you put baby to bed at eight it is not unreasonable (especially during growth spurts) to be hungry by midnight. Overfeeding baby before bed to get out of night feedings will only make your baby uncomfortable at bedtime, which could lead to bedtime problems in the future, since he might feel bedtime = pain.
    Jinxiewolf

Answer by Jinxiewolf at 11:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Babies are not met to sleep through the night, they require many calories to keep that little body growing (brain development, eye development, small and large muscle development, etc.). However their tummies are not big enough to hold all the nutrition they need in one "day" so they must wake in the night to meet their needs. Sadly the sleeping through the night myth has greatly over shadowed the normal sleeping patterns of a child.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 11:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I forgot to add, while the veggies and cereal can add nutrition to the child's diet they are VERY low in calories. Keep in mind that breast milk or formula are the main source of nutrition for the first year of life.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 11:50 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I agree w/hillmom, babies are not meant to sleep through the night. Just remember when the are ready they will sleep and when they are hungry they want and need to eat
    staci1103

Answer by staci1103 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2009