• In the Spotlight:

Has anyone been told by the Dr. that they have an Anti-Nuclear Antibody (ANA) in their blood with a low white cell count as well?

A few years ago, my weight dropped dramatically without reason. I was sent to a specialist/rheumatologist who did a series of blood tests. I was told the result was that I carry this ANA in my blood and had a low white cell count. So, told was an auto-immune disorder. I experience some symptoms similar to lupus and at times everything aches, skin rashes, etc. But, the doctors have said it is not lupus at this stage. Would arthritis/rheumatism show a blood result such as this? They both definitely run in my family. Any ideas?

Squirrel1001

Asked by Squirrel1001 at 8:34 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Health

• RA can have ANA but you would also test pos. for RF (rheumatoid factor). ana is a very general blood test--it doesn't tell specifically what is the cause, it just shows there has been inflammation in your body recently. it can be elevated for up to a month (I think) after any type of infection--including a cold/flu type infection. CRP and ESR are more tests that show inflammation.
    Auto-immune is probably what it is. Maybe mixed connective tissue disorder? it has symptoms of both lupus and RA.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2009