Would you allow your 2nd grader to get a cell phone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you can get ones that can only call 2-3 numbers, the numbers you make it. its not a normal phone with 3 simple buttons. emergency, home-work. I would get one of those if I worked and sometimes my child went out after school or something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• We actually gave our's one for Christmas. He is very responsible and doesn't abuse it. I think I would base it on how mature they are as opposed to the grade or age. We don't let him take it to school and he actually doesn't use it much, but he knows he can easily call home when he's at a friends, if necessary. It was really cheap to add it to our plan.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 8:46 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• WHY?! Where would a 7-8 year old be that he wouldn't have access to a regular land-line phone?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• No way. I don't think it's necessary.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 9:03 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Really don't think they need one. I would think you would know where your child is at all times.
    AZbound

Answer by AZbound at 9:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My SD is in first grade and we are cinsidering getting her one for her birthday in March. It will be the kind that can only call the numbers we allow though. No chatting with friends. I want her to be able to get ahold of us if she needs to. Also they come with GPS so that could come in handy for a number of reasons.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 9:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I bought my 8 yr old son and my 9 yr old daughter a cell phone for christmas. It was a cheap one so if they loose it or break it, no big deal. They have to do chores to earn money for their own minutes. They wasted thier first $10 talking to each other from across the room and now they are using the minutes more wisely. I think the phone is teaching them responsibility. Also after my son gets off the bus he comes down to the apartment himself, one time my 5 yr old stepson locked the door and his dad was in the bedroom with the door shut. I was at work and by then the 5 yr old was napping. My son knocked on the door but, no one heard him. He sat on the steps and cried cause he was afraid he couldn't get in. Luckily Tony looked at the clock and realized he wasn't in yet and went to check on him 10 minutes later. If he had the phone then he could have called and would not have been afraid.
    HeathC.

Answer by HeathC. at 9:24 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I really do not see any reason why a child needs a phone unless they come home alone or are old enough to be driving. Maybe I am old-fashioned, but there are land-line phones everywhere and they can always use an adult's phone if they are somewhere with a friend. When they get their license or start going places on their own with friends yea and then they will have to pay for it with their allowance or have a job.
    transmom

Answer by transmom at 9:35 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Nope.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:38 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• YES. I want to be able to call my child and my child should be able to aways reach me.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2009