How do I get my three year old to sleep by herself at night?

Miche13

Asked by Miche13 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Let her know that she is a big girl now. If she acts like a big girl she wil get big girl privileges. If she acts like a baby then she will be treated like a baby. Big girls get to go outside and play, have candy things like that, but they also sleep in their own bed. Babie need someone to sleep with. It worked for my daughter.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 9:25 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Here's what I did: Once he was in bed, he was given a snack and water to drink. I would read to him then suddenly "remember something I forgot" and tell him I would be right back. Then I came right back - I would keep doing this, each time leaving the room for longer and longer and always coming back. This only took a couple of days to get him used to falling asleep on his own without tears. My son also decided that he needed something of mine to hold, so he would take my hair clip out and click himself to sleep. When I left, I would also offer him the choice of keeping his door open or closed, trying to give him as much control over the situation as possible. My son also knew where I was and sometimes would call out (but not leave his bed), and I would respond...generally with one last hug. If he wasn't in bed, then no hug until he was.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I started by laying down with my lo until he was asleep, then moved to sitting beside the bed with a book (so I wasn't giving him any eye contact). I gradually moved further away each night until I was out in the hall. The whole process took about a month, then I had to sit in the hall until he went to sleep for about 2 weeks. Now I can do his bedtime routine, put him down, then go do other things.
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 10:53 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• forgot to add, different things work for different kids, so check some other resources and try until you find one that works with your child.
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 10:54 AM on Jan. 7, 2009