Just wondering how many of you would own up to this???

How many of you are willing to own up to having a STD? You can answer anon if you want. But being diagnosed with HPV, I was just wondering since 1 in 3 have it how many are willing to stand up and say that they have it too. Or another STD. I am posting anon b/c I don't want ppl sendind me rude emails.(yes it has happened)! I have only slept with 5 ppl my entire life, and yet I end up with something like this. I think 5 is pretty decent # cosidering I am 30 years old. Just my luck my sis has been with over 50 and doesn't have anything. LOL isn't it funny the way things work. Just my luck, I guess. CONT>>>

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• After finding out that I had low grade dysplasia, I did research on this subject. I know that some strands of HPV cause genital warts and some can cause cervical cancer. It also can lie dormant for years before you know you have it. I had no idea that so many people have it. I knew nothing about it before I got an abnormal PAP.

"Approximately 20 million Americans are currently infected with HPV, and another 6.2 million people become newly infected each year. At least 50% of sexually active men and women acquire genital HPV infection at some point in their lives." (www.CDC.gov)
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• How have you dealt with your std? Does it bother your relationships, do you even tell others? Or have you even been recently checked out? You know I hate to say this, but the reason women get cervical cancer is b/c they have HPV. I had a hysterectomy b/c my cells were beginging to change. And so everyone who has had a true bad pap has HPV. Now just think about all those you know who have it. Did you know all of this, what are your thoughts on it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• HPV is not only linked to std's. There are also hereditary forms. I know b/c I too have HPV, I do not know which one I have, but doesn't really matter, same consequences. My son also has HPV, he is 4 and has had it since he was an infant, so I know that his is not an STD. Anyone who has ever had warts has HPV, that is the symptoms.

I was also diagnosed with Clamidia when I was pregnant with my oldest, my ex cheated on me and that is how I got it.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 9:19 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• when i was 16 i had clamitia i know thats spelled wrong i got rid of it taking meds but it still bothered me that i had it i felt ashamed but it was my fault i was young and stupid but now i am more careful i have slept with the same guy now for the last 7 years so i know i wont get anything now and hes to stuck on me to cheat my aunt by marriage had that and she passed away acouple years ago from it my uncle always cheated on her and gave it to her she left behing 2 young boys i still get tested tho every now and then to make sure i dont get the cancer but im not worried about that cancer right now im worried about the breast cancer i am at risk for im not going to post anon everyone learns from their mistakes if you want you can e-mail me or something if you would like to talk
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I had HPV, when I foung out I was pregnant, I bad cells on my cervix, but they were very low grade, and every check up since has been normal. I even have the merena in. I've slept with only 5 men as well, my fith I am married to. My oldest sister has slept with more then 25 men, she had chlamidia and she has a very high risk HPV, risk for cervical cancer. My other older sister, who has slept with countless men, has herpies, and also had chlamydia, from the same guy who gave it to my other sister...yeah gross. I did not follow in there foot steps.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Having HPV isn't anything to be ashamed of since more than half of all sexually active people will contract it in their lifetimes, whether or not they are promiscuous. My niece did, and she's only ever been with one guy. He, unfortunately, has not been equally chaste, and she's rather lucky that she didn't get more than the HPV.

There are more than 40 strains of HPV, and to be certain, not all of them cause cervical cancer or even genital warts. Your risk level is dependent on the variation you've contracted. It can also cause vulvar, vaginal, penile, anal, and oral cancers.

Not all cases of cervical cancer involve HPV. Longterm chlamydia infections have been linked to cervical cancer, as well as smoking, multiple pregnancies, and genetics.

jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 9:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• cont..To be certain: contrary to what the first response says, not ALL cases of abnormal pap smears and/or cervical cancer are directly related to HPV.

To answer your question: I would not have a problem admitting to having HPV or pretty much any other STD, because anyone who is sexually active could contract any number of STD's or STI's. It doesn't mean you're a slut or that you sleep around...it only takes one person to give it to you. As long as I'm not doing something I am ashamed of, there's no reason for me to not "own up" as you say, right?

jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 9:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Just to clarify, my son does not have genital warts, but HPV (the non STD kind) causes all types of warts. He gets them on his fingers.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 9:48 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I DO have an STD - herpes. There are 2 types: HSV-1 and HSV-2. I (thankfully) have HSV-1. It is much less invasive and I have never had an outbreak other than the initial. My SO knows I have it and it has not interfered with our love life AT ALL! He STILL does NOT have it! I was with numerous partners (I used to swing) but now am only with my SO.

*cont'd*
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Other than my 2 ex-husbands and my SO I have used a condom EACH and EVERY time!! When I was a swinger no condom meant NO SEX! PERIOD! I got HSV-1 from a guy forcing himself on me and it was oral sex, not penal penetration. I had no idea at the time that ANYONE could get herpes from someone going down on them doing oral to genital sex while they had a cold sore, but that is the fact of what happened. I am not ashamed to say I have it because it is a part of me that will never change. I did nothing wrong, so I don't have to hide from it. Anyone that wants to give me $h!t about it doesn't know my life and shouldn't pass judgment. I just hope that by sharing I may help someone else.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 7, 2009