how do i get my son to stop being so mean

My 20 month old son is extremely mean. He bit his older sister yesterday He can be really nice though. He will get mad and hit or kick. If its just a faze i can handle that but does anyone know if he is going to be like that when he is older. I spanked him one day and he hit me back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Since he's so young it's hard to give him a time out. someone told me on here to pick them up and tell them "we don't hit" or what ever he did and then sit him on your lap for 1 monute in a room with no TV no siblings to toys to watch. 1 minture is awful to them. It's working great with my 12 month old.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 9:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It's a phase. Just remember than whenever he hits, kicks, bites, etc...to gently but firmly stop the behavior, use your words to let him know we don't do these things, let him know you understand he is frustrated/tired/angry/whatever emotion he is experiencing, and then give him an acceptable outlet for his emotion. Kicking the floor, hitting a pillow, growling...whatever it takes to help him express his emotion without hurting anyone. If you're holding him when he hits/bites, just firmly say No, we don't xxxx...and put him down. Also, if he hurts your daughter, comfort her FIRST to let your son know his behavior will not get your immediate attention, but instead makes you pay attention to someone else. Good behavior gets your attention, so make sure you catch him when he's good!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I would look for the book o video "The Happiest Toddler on the Block"
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 10:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My son (2) is the same way, his temper will flare and he'll hit, kick, punch, headbutt (which is my least fav) whatever, he doesn't bite me though, but immedeatley after he does it he alwasy says "oh i sawry mommy" so I'm not sure if he can control himself or not. but he only does it to me, very rarely does he hit another child
    Nicholeb211

Answer by Nicholeb211 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 7, 2009