To check for freshness in eggs, if they float they are fresh or if they sink?

My chicken layed eggs where she hadn't been and now I can't remember how to see if they are okay. Someone told me to do the float test and I can't remember which means they are fresh. Help!

mamasongs

Asked by mamasongs at 9:34 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Sink I think, that is what eggs from the grocery do though.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 9:36 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• If they sink in warm water they are fine, if they float in the warm water they are bad. By the way, eggs are generally good for 5 weeks after they are lain. We have 1 little hen who gives us eggs. She's so sweet. I don't know if you get overloaded on eggs or not, but I usually take a pencil and write the date the egg was laid on it so I always use the oldest ones first. Just a tip. Can you tell I love my chicky's? LOL
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 9:39 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Thansk for your answers. I too love my hen, she is a great layer. The cold had her not laying for a while though. Hoping to get some more. We need more eggs with a family of seven. The chicks we bought all turned out to be roosters.
    mamasongs

Answer by mamasongs at 10:21 AM on Jan. 7, 2009