Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


I found out just a little bit ago that my husband may get chaptered out (he's in basic) because his foot is taking too long to heal. I have no money saved up because we really fell behind when I had to wait for his paycheck and he'd been laid off for 2 months before leaving for basic.

Is there any kind of assistance out there that anyone knows of that we could use until one of us gets a job?

I would greatly appreciate anyone's help! Thanks so much!

Answer Question

Asked by mandystenger at 9:37 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • Well, dealing with the military...if he's being discharged due to a medical problem, and it wasn't pre-existing, he may qualify for some VA disability. (my husband is a disabled vet)

    Other than that, check with unemployment and VA rehab (they will pay him to go to school in order to find another his tuition AND he'll get a monthly living stipend). WIC for the kids, foodstamps, etc....

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:41 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • I don't think he would qualify for VA benefits if he never finishes basic. I was also chaptered out medically in basic and was not eligible for anything. Maybe he can get unemployment though?

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.