OIF/OEF Vet Wives: Is the VA where you live getting better?

Supposedly since all this went down about how they're brushing OIF/OEF vets off and not caring for them like they should the VA hospitals are supposed to be overhauling their procedures and taking better care of these veterans.

Well the hospitals around here must have not got the memo or something. What about yours?

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 9:38 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• that is absolutely horrible! if my dh had been there, there is NO WAY he would not have said something to that nurse. if you know her name, you have to make a complaint against this nurse! she should NOT be working at a VA! dh just told me if he had been there security probably would have had to escort him out of there because he would have been ripping her a new one!

we live in NW PA and the VA's here are pretty good. this a a much older generation area and they don't put up with crap like that without heads rolling. you really need to file a complaint against that lady! make sure theVFW and the AL know about the incident too! NO ONE who served in any of the five branches of our military, no matter how minor their injuries should be spoken to in such a manor! i am so sorry! no, things like that don't seem to happen at our VA....
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Honestly I don't know how the VA hospitals are doing in this area. My husband has not been treated by them as we go to the military hospitals if something is wrong. But I have noticed that commands are finding help for their men/women when they see a problem.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 10:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• There is your first heads up on how Government run healthcare will be like. Look closey people.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i couldnt agree with you more akinbottom2, my husband is a disabled vet and they dont really do anything but tell him that they cant really fix his problems.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My uncle was having health issues, pain, weakness. The VA did nothing for him - no tests, no examination, no nothing. They told him to go home, take an aspirin and a nap and he should feel better.

My cousin took him to Mass General the following week and they found he had two decompressed disc's in his spine and prostrate cancer.

Yeah, thanks VA.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• mrssundin they do the same thing with my husband. He has TBI from 4 major concussions from IEDs that went untreated while he was in Fallujah that causes constant severe migraines, as well as a ringing in his ears that sometimes is so sharp it almost literally drives him to his knees sometimes. Well there's nothing they can do for that.

He lost 60% of his hearing in his right ear and 40% in his left and due to the damage sustained to his ear drums his hearing will continue to degenerate over time. They told him that our family should learn sign language and that's really all they could do to help.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 8:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• (cont.)

He has nightmares, flashbacks, and anxiety attacks due to PTSD along with a few of the classic signs of IMED but the docs at our wonderful VA told him that if they were to give him a formal diagnosis it wouldn't really help him and that they would have to inform any place of employment that he applied for work at in the future. Well 85 to 90% of said places of employment in this area will flat out tell you they don't hire OIF/OEF vets. So what's the difference if he has a PTSD diagnosis or not in that area? They just didn't want to shell out the money for the treatment a formal diagnosis would require.

Seriously it's to the point to where that's almost a major check in the pro side of our pro/con list for rejoining the Marines, at least on active duty they'd help him.
    BlueCollarMama

• bluecollarma, if you dh is within a year of getitng out he HAS to have them do a formal eval on his condition. do not take NO for an answer. once it is documented he will recieve compensation for any conditions, as they will be considered service connected. if it is in his records he will have an easier time of it after a year than if not. otherwise he has to have sworn statements from Medics and other personnel that were there with him that he did sustain certain injuries at the time he claims. the problem that we have found with the VA is that you HAVE to DEMAND the service. there are some wonderful docs that work for the VA and then there are some lowsy ones. my dh has a lowsy pcp. dh's doc did not even know he had a heart attack.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• (cont)

when dh left work complaining of all the symptoms of a heart attack and later did a follow up with his PCP, his PCP, said "it appears that you seem to have a had a heart attack somewhere in the past?" REALLY! my dh replied, "oct. 2,2006 to be exact!" his doc was HOLDING his medical records! right now, my dh's psychologist and social worker at pushing for dh to apply for unemployability as his anxiety attacks have all the same symptoms of heart attacks so if he had another one he would have to do all the tests over and over again, to be sure he did not have another heart attack.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

• conti.

the other problem is that VA will ONLY treat you for the conditions you have documented in your VA claim. my dh is (right now) 80% disabled, but has other conditions listed and recognized, he just does not get compensation for them at this time, but will be treated for them. if it not in your document records with the VA they will not treat you for it and push you aside. my husband did a lot of research when he was going through his MEB. he made sure every ache and pain was documented down to an ingrown toe nail. if you can get 50% or over rating from the VA, they will treat you for all your problems.. sometimes you just have to PUSH and not take no for an answer
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 9, 2009