irregular periods and ovulation

My periods are really irregular and always have been sometimes they are absent for 3 months, how do i pinpoint ovulation?

HeathC.

Asked by HeathC. at 9:50 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• It's practically impossible to pinpoint ovulation when your periods are unpredicatble like that. You can still get pregnant with irregular period, but your odds are not as good. My best advice would be see your doctor, because there might be a simple reason for your irregularity. Your reproductive system is effected by many other systems in your body, so it could even be something that seems totally unrelated, like your thyroid for instance. Whatever it is, the sooner you start trying to figure it out the better your odds of getting pregnant. Good luck.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:00 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• You can try using a basal thermometer and charting your temperatures every day. Take your temp at the same time every morning before you get up and chart it; when your temperature goes up a couple of points, you are ovulating. Some people are just irregular like us. Have fun trying!
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 10:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My periods have never been regular (24-79 days, so I know how you feel), and charting my basal body temperature has been a lifesave for me. I've been doing it for a few years now, even when I'm not TTC just to know when my period's going to show up. Go to www.fertilityfriend.com and it'll teach you everything you need to know about charting; you'll really get to know your cycle and your body, let you know when you're going to ovulate, if you ovulate, when to expect your period (and thus when to take an HPT), if you're pregnant, etc.

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• use a ovulation kit
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2009