HELP is she too old for a crib?

my 2 y/o DD wont go to sleep she wants to sleep in a big ppl bed. should i convert her crib to a toddler bed? but i would have to close her door so she does not get out because our rooms are on the second floor

jazmya_mom

Asked by jazmya_mom at 9:52 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We just moved our 18 month old to a toddler bed last night. He always went to bed with his door closed and then I would open it when I went to bed. Last night I put a gate in his door way and closed his door. When I went to bed I opened the door and left the gate up. This way if he woke up in the middle of the night he would not fall down the stairs or wonder around the house. I knew he was safe in his room and did not feel all alone and scared if he woke up to the door closed.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 10:51 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My son was the same way. He wasn't even 2 yet, and told me "No more baby bed, Mommy." So we put him in a big boy bed, and put a gate at his door, then later at the top of the steps. He did fine. I don't believe in one right age for those steps. Just do what is right for your little individual.
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 10:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My three were out of the crib at 15 months.

She's too old for the crib when you feel she's too old, or too big if she hits the height limit. If she can climb out, then it's a safety issue.

I'm not sure I understand the concern about closing the door, though....the boys all sleep with their doors closed...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:02 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I moved my son into a toddler bed shortly after his second birthday because he was trying to figure out how to climb out. It was at that time a safety issue. However.. as for simply closing the door... make sure your child can not open the door and have a tumble down the stairs. We use knob covers that work great.. and back it up with a gate at the top of the stairs just in case.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Are you aware putting a child alone in a room they cannot get out of can be considered child abuse or child inprisonment. It is a fire risk. We learned this the hard way. Courts, cops and social workers don't listen to the 'I was trying to keep them safe' story. Be careful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i moved my son to a toddler bed when he turned two, only because he kept trying to climb out of his crib and finally succeeded and fell to the hardwood floors...he didn't hurt himself though. But then I started shutting his door and in his attempts to open it he would accidentally lock the door so I flipped the door knobs so that the lock was on the outside ans when he figured out how to open the door I started locking it when I put him in bed so that he was safely in his room and couldn't escape into the dark house at night....
    Nicholeb211

Answer by Nicholeb211 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• There is no "too old". There is too heavy but most cribs will easily go up to 50 pounds.

If she wants to sleep in bed, then let her. My daughter wants nothing to do with her bed at all!

And yes, you will need to keep her from roaming the house at night. A baby gate over her door, a lock on the door, or an alarm to let you know when she opens the door will all work.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• As soon as my children were able to climb out of the crib I put them in a toddler bed! They slept all night long from then on! They thought they were big then! How cute!!
    tmeeker37

Answer by tmeeker37 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Sounds like she is ready to sleep in a toddler bed. It would be a good idea to put a baby gate on her bedroom door and a gate for the stairs (if it does not have one already). Good luck!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2009