What do you think?

My 4 year old son has been sick the past couple of weeks with a cold. Last night he got a low-grade fever and cried of a headache. I gave him a couple tylenol (under the recommended amount for his age) and put him to bed early. He woke up with a severe sore throat. I was just going to give him a couple more tylenol to ease the pain but now he has come up to me and says "Mom, do I have polka-dots?". I looked and sure enough, he has tiny bumps all over the side of his chest and up near his armpit.

I'm calling the doc to make an appointment right now, but does anyone have any idea what it is? No white spots on the throat so I don't think it's strep.

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• actually the rash on his chest, up under his arms is quite common and a symptom most Drs look for when evaluating for possible strep. I'm sure they'll do a quick strep or throat culture. In the meantime makes sure he covers his mouth for coughs and sneezes. If you keep cups in the bathroon make sure nobody drinks after him. Strep is so contagious, esp. for those at risk. Very old, very young and immunosuppressed.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:37 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It still can be strep or a virus. Strep does not always cause the white patches. There are a couple of strains. Go to the doc. and find out for sure. Good Luck and let me know.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:59 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Call the doctor...spots and fever..chickenpox?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:18 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Strep can be very tricky, you don't always have the white patches. The rash could be the scarletina rash that can go with strep. Otherwise, the cold could have turned into a sinus infection, and he could have caught a fresh virus, displaying the low grade temp and a rash.
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Chickenpox?? Your doing the right thing by taking him to the doctors! Let me know what it is
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It was strep after all! He also has an ear infection.

I took my daughter with because she has a blistery looking rash on her right leg (not the same rash as him) and she has strep as well. The doctor said her rash is not associated with the strep. She thinks it actually might be shingles.

FUN FUN!! Thanks everyone!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2009