my babygirl has had an ear infection in her right ear we got rid of it with amoxicilian now she has a ear infection in her right ear while taking the med well yesterday she started leaking some brownish color out of her ear and my mom said shes gonna need tubes....does anyone know if thats true or has it happen to anyone elses kids yet? I hope not my baby is only 10 months..or do the doctors drian her ear????

if anyone knows anything about this or knows what might happen please tell me

TalindasMommy

Asked by TalindasMommy at 9:56 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Health

• My oldest daughter had that happen to her, the day before her second birthday. The pressure in her ear had gotten so strong that her ear drum ruptured. I felt like such a horrible parent!! I cried and cried in the emergency room. They gave her tylenol and sent us on our way. She is fine now, has not had an ear infection since, and no tubes.

I don't know, but I think they only do tubes if they have chronic ear infections.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 10:00 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Let them do the tubes. It will take the dr about 10mins then about 15-30 in recovery room. If you go to a childrens hospital they won't even put her iv in till she is out. It is really quick it doesn't hurt a bit. They are usually fine after the anestesia wears off. They will keep the water off of the ear drum adn will drain out all of the infection. The tubes will fall out on there own when they are ready, and some kids will have to have a second or even third set. but all of mine did fine with the first set. Hope that helps you feel more comfy.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 10:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• she doesnt need tubes!!!,,,,,,,,we finally got rid of that icky stuff w,a topical antibiotic u squirt in ear...call dr,,im sure they will give you some
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Whether or not she needs tubes will not be decided on one ear infection. If she has drainage you need to have her seen. Tubes are genrally for chronic ear infections. My oldest had 9 infections in 13 months. Ruptured eardrum twice. They did tubes. As long as they were in , no problems. The first one came out..reinfected in 3 weeks. 2nd came out..same thing. Second set of tubes...no problems. He finally grew enough to stretch his eustachian tubes just enough so they drained better. 2 yrs after the last set his hearing was normal.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Like all the others said they will not do tubes unless your little one has chronic ear infections. My little boy had tubes put in when he was 9 months old. He had 10 ear infections in like 3 months. It was horrible. They will not base the decision off of one ear infection though. Take him in to be seen and they will give you some ear drops that'll clear it right up.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 10:48 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My daughter had ear infections every 6 weeks for four years and they said she was under the wire for being a candidate for tubes. Can you believe that? After arguing with her Pediatrician and finding an ENT Dr. they decided to place tubes in her ears and take out her adnoids. They said they hoped she didn't develop a different type infection because the continuous use of antibiotics made her immuned to them.
    She has had only one ear infection since the the tubes have been in place and she is now 16 years old.

Best of luck to you.
    TexasSweetheart

Answer by TexasSweetheart at 10:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• check out this book.... No More Antibiotics: Preventing and Treating Ear and Respiratory Infections the Natural Way by Mary Ann Ann Block

With my first son I discovered the dairy in my diet(I was breastfeeding) was causeing ear infections. For my second child it was nuts
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2009