I HAVE A 20MONTH OLD AT HOME AND SHE IS STILL ON A BOTTLE HOW CAN I WEEN HER OUT OF IT?

SHE WILL HAVE A TAMPTRUM IF I DONT GIVE IT TO HER. SHE WILL DRINK FROM HER SIPPY CUP, BUT EXCEPT FOR HER MILK.I DONT KNOW HOW TO STOP HER FROM TAKING HER BOTTLE.I HAVE A FOUR YR. OLD AND HE STOPPED TAKING THE BOTTLE WHEN HE WAS ONLY 10 MONTHS OLD. I AM VERY CONFUSED.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Simple, let her scream! Don't give in and give the bottle back. She has to see that it's time to let go of a bottle, she's a big girl now!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I know this sounds mean, but just take it away. If you give it back b/c of her fit, then she will learn that she can manipulate you into getting what she wants. It may be a hard couple of days, but she will be alright.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 10:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• She can drink from a sippy, she doesn't need the bottle. Take the bottle away, get rid of it. It's a habit.

Put her milk in her sippy and give it to her. She'll drink it when she gets thristy enough. And if she needs the milk, do NOT give her juice until she drinks the milk....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• She is holding on to the bottle the same as she would a security blanket. She is not ready to give up her need to suck (at her age it still releases calming hormones) but (as I'm sure you know) sucking on a bottle and/or a pacifier is horrible for oral development.

Give her more of your time! Let house work go, and just spend time with her. This will help meet some of the security needs which she is obtaining from the bottle.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 10:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My daughter was 18 months old before she finally -- though reluctantly -- gave up the bottle. We tried all sorts of different sippy cups to find one that would want to use. We finally settled on a plastic cup with a straw. I think she thinks it's fun so she's willing to do it. Then I hid all of the bottles. (She'll drink from a sippy, but seems to drink more milk from the straw.) At daycare she drinks from a real cup, which she also likes - but that's pretty messy day-to-day at home. I will say her milk intake went down when she moved away from the bottle. That's was troubling to me at first, but she seems to get enough and I supplement with yogurt and cheese.
    mommaHi

Answer by mommaHi at 11:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• my son just gave up his, he is 15 mo. old I had trouble finding a sippy he could drink from. i just put away the bottle so he couldn't see them. Out of site out of mind. g/l
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Sounds like a comfort thing, my youngest was like that. Have you tried putting water in the with the milk and making the bottle unappealing? When she tastes it and turns up her nose, then offer her a cup with just the milk in it. It might take afew times doing this before she is ready to chuck that bottle. Good luck!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Why are you so worried about her having the bottle? Bottles are not that bad. My son just recently gave his up and he is 2.5 years old. I waited until he was ready because he was the same way. Sippys are just grown up versions of the bottle and are really no different so why push it?
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2009