Would my Dr. really prescibe me something that caused birth defects such as Zoloft?

i took my first dose yesterday!

mccullough08

Asked by mccullough08 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My doctor did something like that. Rx me meds that pass through breast milk and hurt your baby. Idiot. I hate doctors.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• No honey, he wouldn't. I take Zoloft and I'm 25 weeks. My baby is doing fine. They catagorize medicine into groups A, B, and C. A being that extensive tests have proven that a drug does not cause harm to a fetus. C being defects are known to cause harm to a fetus. Zoloft is an A drug. Rest assured that your baby will be fine and try to relax. You will start to feel better after a couple of weeks of taking it and if you don't, than you have to do what you think is best for you and your baby. Zoloft has been great for me. I had soooo much anxiety during the first part of my pregnancy. I worried about anything and everything. I could hardly function. I feel so much better now and can actually enjoy my pregnancy and everyday life. I hope it works the same for you. Good luck and congrats!
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My sister was on Zoloft her whole pregnancy and her son was perfectly fine and healthy. Dont worry about it. Your little one will be just fine.
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 10:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• No Doc. would knowingly give you something that can harm your baby, this being said, many times, docs. don't know things are bad until many years later. They used to knock women out with gas when they were giving birth until they realized it was bad for the babies. They did all kinds of things back in the day they thought were good and babies came out with all kinds of deformities, etc. YOu can never know for sure, but you can look up which class the drug falls under. There are class A, B, and C drugs. A&B are approved for use in pregnancy and C is not.
    Anonymous

• Yes, a doctor may prescribe a drug that can cause an adverse effect. It all depends on how knowledgeable your doctor is and how comfortable he/she is with the risk.

Zoloft is associated with persistent pulmonary hypertension in the newborn when taken during the last half of pregnancy. Prozac is associated with the same disorder. My family doctor, who prescribed my Prozac, had no problems with using the drug during pregnancy. However, my OB was not as comfortable with it. I did the research and decided that I was not comfortable with taking that risk (however minimal it may be) and decided to discontinue my medication. Your doctor has a responsibility to educate you on the risks vs. benefits, but it is ultimately your decision.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Zoloft has some risks... so does depression in a pregnant mother. It's a matter of which risk is greater. Yes, a doctor would prescribe a medicine that has risks. Think about epidurals. You're the consumer. You make the decisions. You are in control.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I started taking zoloft a few days ago and i am 33 weeks. I am constantly worried about the effects on my baby, but the benefits will hopefully outweigh the risks. Someone mentioned that Zoloft is a category A drug but it is actually category C because they found that it does cause harm in pregnant animal's newborns. But they havent studied it in pregnant humans. It can cause withdrawl sypmtoms in the baby and it raises the risk of pphn by like 6 times. But this is risk, not the definite outcome. It is reassuring to hear from alot of people who have taken it and everything turned out fine with the newborn.
    kristen_renee3

Answer by kristen_renee3 at 12:51 PM on May. 6, 2009

• What are you talking about Zoloft being a class A drug, it's class C. I was just at the doctor because I'm pregnant and they confirmed Zoloft as a class C drug and explained all of the risks it runs with the unborn child. While many babies are born to mothers who continue to take class C drugs with no adverse reactions there are many babies who are born with birth defects. I am on a rather high dose of Zoloft and it worries me for my unborn child, however I can not come off of this drug safely and continue to have a normal pregnancy. You just have to try to make the best decision possible, and for my family and I, it is for me to stay on the medication. Good luck :D

MooreTrio

Answer by MooreTrio at 3:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2010