How do I support my husband?

Very long story short, my husband is miserable and thus he is making me miserable along with our son! He's 42, He lost both of this parents about a year ago, he's trying to lose weight, he doesn't like his job even though he makes a great salary with a promise of a terrific raise... I told him I'd rather him have a less paying job and be happy than to work there and be so grumpy all the time. His loss of his parents has made it worse understandably. I support him in his weight loss but I don't enable him. He won't go to counseling. He's so negative all the time he's very difficult to even be around... our relationship is crumbling right before my eyes... any suggestions??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• First, if you believe in the power of prayer I would start their. That will give you the sensitivity to his heart and the wisdom in speech. Secondly, the same way that you would be with your son you should be with your husband. If your son came home with a broken heart how would you handle him. If he couldn't meet the grade in class how would you encourage him to keep trying. Thats what you can do. Listen to your husband. In our society, men account for 80% of suicides. My thought is because we never see them hurting. And when they do hurt we expect them to be the strong ones and get over it. Men don't want to and can't be strong all of the time. Your strength is needed here. Be blessed>
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I have a GREAT book I'd like to suggest, however it's written by a Christian and rubs a lot of women the wrong way. If you are interested in knowing the title and reading an excerpt, feel free to message me =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Prayer and prozac. Both works miracles no joke. IF he won't ask for it himself go with him to the Dr. and tell the doctor what he is going through and it DOES help. It helps you to cope with stress excessive angry and depression. Some people even lose weight while taking it. Pray and read your bible regularly. GOD answers prayers!
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 11:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• What about a gym membership? Maybe he needs a healthy outlet. If he's not willing to go to counseling (which it sounds like he needs to deal with his loss and general dissatisfaction with life) perhaps some good old fashioned endorphins will help perk his mood up. Plus it will work well with his weight loss goal, give him a possible social outlet... etc. Just because he refuses counseling doesn't mean you can't go -- it may help you learn some techniques to speak with him, feel closer and dissolve some of his negativity. Good luck Momma! Sorry you're going through this.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:43 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Pray for him!! We all need it! It will change you and it WILL change him! Good Lucka and God Bless!
    kelsbecca619

Answer by kelsbecca619 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2009