Do you let your toddlers play on the computer?

If yes, for how long? If no, why not?

wonderpetsmom

Asked by wonderpetsmom at 10:20 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no, because
    1. he has a tendency to just want to bang on the keys and then the keys will pop off
    2. when he's banging on the keys he always manages to have some weird screen pop up
    3. with him banging on the keys he could easily delete something that is important to me without my knowledge
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 10:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I've allowed my son to play on the computer since he as about 2 years old - but first only on my laptop which was old and outdated. I found some toddler/preschool games for him to play, limited to about 15-30 minutes (depending on his interest level, sometimes less). I worked with him on how to use the mouse (no keyboard skills necessary at this age, just learning fine motor skills of moving the mouse and association of the mouse on the table with the arrow on the screen). He rarely uses the computer now, but when he does, it's about 30 minutes of continuous use.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I did not let my girls play with the computer until they were closer to 4. They were able to better understand what they had to do with games and weren't to hard on the keyboard/mouse. My 2 yr old right now loves to sit on my lap and watch me type, but that's about it for her. My 4 yr old loves the PBS website, Fisher-Price, and Playhouse Disney sites for games. My 6 yr old likes Disney Channel, Disney Fairies, and PBS. They get to play for about 20 minutes two or three times a week. Sometimes on the weekend if her sisters are sleeping my older one will get some longer time on it.
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 10:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Yes, but I sit in one chair and colntrol the keyboard, mouse etc...and he sits in anothr, we found this really neat website (thanks to my 6 yr old sister) that he really enjoys. NAd we only do it until he loses interest...about 15-20 mins.
    the website is www.starfall.com if your interested...
    Nicholeb211

Answer by Nicholeb211 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My son is 4 and he has played on the computer for as long as I can remember, he's only on for about 30 minutes and I sit with him we go to like PBS.org or Nickelodon or some other kid friendly website. I mainly supervise now and he can do just about everything on his own. He also has numerous computer games which promote learning that we play again for only like 30 min at a time.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 10:30 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My son is almost five and he has played on the computer for 2 years. He plays games and learns alot from the Nickalodeon sites. They learn stuff that they need to know when they go to kindergarten! I know some children that went to preschool and he knows more than they do! 30 minutes is probably the longest he has been on. But it really helps. Banging on the keys was just something he had to learn not to do or he would be on time out! It didn't take long and he quit banging on the keys. They have to know how far they can push you! Discipline is 90% of the answer! They are never too little for that!
    tmeeker37

Answer by tmeeker37 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• yes they are always playing on noggin.com they are very educational
    txmomoftwo

Answer by txmomoftwo at 11:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• my 2 yo plays on it all the time, but only educational websites such as pbs kids, noggin, nickjr. She learned pretty quickly from watching her sisters.
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I thought this question was about toddlers? not 5 and 6 year olds?
    Anonymous

• my son is 2 and a half and i let him play on my lap. he decides for how long and his attention span makes it, at most, 20 minutes! most of the time i have to play for him with him watching. (tons of fun games for that on pbskids.org. and hitentertainment.com - that is thomas and friends, angelina balerina, bob the builder etc...) they can be a great learning tool if you pick the right games. i have just found the fisher price website has AMAZING games that he can play all by himself! there is one where he can press any key to gradually color a picture, another to hit any key to go through the alphabet, and another that he can press the letter keys to see them display that letter with an animal that starts with that letter, among others. this is great because he just can't manage to control our mouse on his own yet.
    Anonymous