How do I get my terrified toddler to sleep?

For the past few nights my 2 year old daughter has been screaming bloody murder when we put her to bed. She will not lay down, only sits up and screams. She is afraid of something that is in her room & I can't figure out what it is. I try to let her "cry it out", but she works herself up so bad that she ends up throwing up! She will sit up all night. I have put a night light in her room, removed things that I thought might be scaring her. I thought maybe she is having nightmares and is scared to go to sleep. I just don't know! Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

dominicanqueen

Asked by dominicanqueen at 10:39 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter has a stuffed dragon that growls at any monsters it sees and bites them. Just ask her. She'll tell you so herself. Because she has such faith in her little guardian, she knows that no monsters can get in her room.
    Have you considered going to the store and letting your daughter pick out a monster chaser of her own?

Ask her if there is anything in her room she wants taken out. That may give you a clue as to what is going on.
    Also, is there anything new? Have you only recently started running a humidifer? The heater? Any new furniture or decor?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Monster chaser - awesome!

Also, squirt bottle of water for Monster Spray - works well.

We gave each of ours a "tyke light" which is a portable nightlight that goes off after 15 mins but then they can turn it on when needed.

Good luck.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Forgot to ask - is this during naps as well???
    Wimsey

• my son is 16 months he was doing the samehing out of no where. We found that we only have about a 15 min. window to get him in to bed, if we put him to bed too early he crys none stop if we put him to bed too late same thing. So 9 / 9:15 pm is our golden time he fusses for a bout a min then right to sleep!
    hope this helps g/l
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I am amazed that I came across this! I have no idea how to help a toddler overcome this problem, but for the past few nights my son has been doing the exact same thing! He has two night-lights... Should be fine, but this shot up out of NO WHERE! I have had to lay him on me to put him to bed - first time since he was 6 months old!

He is fourteen months old... I am guessing that this is an uncommon stage in toddlers.
    BruntBeauty

Answer by BruntBeauty at 11:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2009