Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fathers parental rights

I just wanted to know when you go to take the fathers parental right, Do you have to do it in the state the child was born in? Or can I do it in the state I live in now? My son was born in NY and we now live in Florida if that helps any. And his father was deported and hasnt had anything to do with him for over a year now.

Answer Question

Asked by Harley84 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • I would call the state you are in and ask them because I think it should not matter but I don't know.


    Answer by Jad30 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • State of residence, I believe...check with a lawyer who deals with family law...

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

  • Most legal stuff is done in the state you live in, but call the local courthouse and ask them to be sure.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 12:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.