What about Kitties and Pregnancy?

I think I remember hearing about a toxin that is dangerous to pregnant women, but I can't remember what it was about. We have a new cat, and I need to know what to avoid while caring for him. Do we need to have him removed from the home temporarily?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Pets

• The Toxoplasmosis is only in their poop if they're infected with it. Wear gloves and wash hands after. You catch it by oral contact with feces. You'll be fine, I changed my kitties box.

Vet Tech-need advice?
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 5:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• As long as you don't handle the litter box duty all should be well =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It's the ammonia in the litter box....good excuse not to change the litter yourself!
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 11:18 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Toxoplasmosis is the name for it. It's in their poop.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 11:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• if you absolutly have to change the litter box, make sure you wash your hands immediatelly afterwards, and that was told to me from a doctor.  it wouldnt hurt to wear gloves too.  but the cat is fine, but  dont be surprised if you find the lil critter in the crib....my cat played nanny to my lil one lol

babygirlpj2007

Answer by babygirlpj2007 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Just Be Careful!! Avoid the Litter box!! Love the Cat they're good for you! They say Babies with Cats growing up will have less or no allergies Etc... My Cats & Kittens were Exceptional with my Children growing up! It even taught them responsibilities too! Sometime the Cat was Sick & they had to Stay home with it! They wanted to buy something but the Cat needed A pill Etc.. They paid for it & saved for it & all!! It was Great! Long History of Love & bonding Etc.. I can't Rave on enough!! I'm Sadened by ones that are all too ready to Dump A pet for no Good Reason or Soultion!! Even Cat's Purrs Are like Medicine! The Frequency in purrs is like that of sound Therapy! That's Why its Said they can purr broken bones & ailements Well! Not in All Cases but can mend themselves with their own Purrs! I find Cat Purrs Soothing!! Good Luck! Sounds like it will be one Real Happy Complete Family!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 3:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2009