what age is too old for a binkie?

I was wondering at what age did you break your child of there binkie (plug) if they ever had one. My son was give one in the hospital so we let him keep it. I broke him of the bottle a month a go and was wondering if was harder to break the binkie and when should I try it.
thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• in my personal opinion, when they can speak and have to remove the binkie to talk, but my son never really took to a binkie so i have no idea how much a toddler relies on them...
    and i mean NOTHING hateful by it
    Nicholeb211

Answer by Nicholeb211 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• my son only got his binki for the first few months, and it was very rarely, he didn't like it that much, but now the bottle is another story, he's 16months and needs it for naps and sleep or else he won't go to sleep, i know it's bad, but i'm not sure how to break him of it :-(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Artificial nipples like the bottle and the pacifier can have negative effects of oral development, getting your child off them ASAP is the most common recommendation. However, a speech therapist that I know wants children off the pacifier by 6 months of age. This can be very hard if the child is still needing to suck (until 6 it can be a calming thing with hormone involvement or longer if the child's social/emotional needs are not being met). The best way to wean from that type of security is to give your child lots of attention (that can men letting house work go) in order to try and meet their security needs in another form.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 11:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I cant stand seeing any kid over two with a pacifier. I saw a three year old with one, and a bottle!
    I would say about a year.
    MBsMom2004

Answer by MBsMom2004 at 12:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• girl, mine never used em'. why? my friend has a 4 year old who still sucks on one and will raise hell if she dosen't get it.
    i would go ahead now... it may be rough at first but you got to or else it'll get worse.
    Kristina.C

Answer by Kristina.C at 12:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My 2-year-old has one for sleeping. He sucks on it until he falls asleep and generally it falls out once he's sleeping. When he wakes up, he puts it in a pouch attached to his bedpost. My dentist doesn't have a problem with it and his doc said it's like him falling asleep with a security blanket.
    AaronsMommy1015

Answer by AaronsMommy1015 at 12:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2009