How do you know that your toddler knows he has to potty?

I don't think my son knows that he has to use the potty, we have been introducing the potty and having him sit on it and he doesn't mind it at all, but sometimes he goes and soemtimes he doesn't but 90% of the time when he doesn't use it he has an accident on the floor before I can get his diaper back on, and after he pees an the floor he says "oh no, a pee-pee" How do I get him to notice the sensation BEFORE he pees, not after?

Nicholeb211

Asked by Nicholeb211 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Use the cool alert pullups and he will learn when he has to pee!
    tmeeker37

Answer by tmeeker37 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• give him time, it will come, he just needs more practice.
    mylilredheadboy

Answer by mylilredheadboy at 12:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• He may recognize the sensation and be confused with what you want him to do. I know it seems like we're being clear when we tell them what the potty is for, however, it wasn't until I showed him what to do that my son got it. At 19 months, I used the "3-day method" and he was accident-free and wearing regular underwear in one week. The most important part of the method is putting them in regular underwear, watching them like a hawk, and putting them on the potty as soon as they started to pee. If you have carpet, put down a lot of towels and try to stay in one area. I put his potty in the playroom and sat on the floor all day for a week. By day three, he was no longer having pee accidents. After a week he was pooping in the potty too. continued ...

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 12:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• When I put him on the potty, I said "Great job, you're going pee-pee and you put it in the potty," and I'd show him the pee coming out and point to the potty bowl, then show him. He couldn't even speak, but he'd grab himself and do the universal pee-pee dance to tell me he needed to go.

DeTora_Family

• TAKE THE DIAPERS AND PULL UPS and throw them in the trash! He'll never know if hes got all that absorbancy helpin him out. My son usually grabs at his bottom or front, or he starts breathing louder/faster....like hes late for an appointment ;)
    Mothergoods

Answer by Mothergoods at 7:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2009