• In the Spotlight:

Pregnancy Tests at the doctors office

Are the urine tests they give you at the doctor's office the same ones that you can buy in the drug stores? I was at the doctor yesterday and they gave me a urine pregnancy test that came back negative just like the two I took before that. This morning I woke up with a whole new slew of symptoms, i'm really thinking I might be pregnant. This morning on the way to work I just started to cry for no reason and am extremely nauseous. I've already taken tests but I've heard of soooo many people getting false negatives. Do you think I'm just coming down with something or is it too soon to test, should I get a blood test?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• yes you shuold get a blood test done if you think you are pregnant. and yeah the urine tests are the same as HPT
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 11:20 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Depends on the tests you're using. Different tests detect hCG at different levels. Some doctors' offices actually use tests that are less senstive than some HPTs. Some women can't get a positive on urine tests until they're weeks late. It's not 'the norm', but it's not uncommon either.

Can't tell you if you're testing too soon without knowing where you are in your cycle.

If your doc will order a blood test for you and it will make you feel better, then do it.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2009