Is it normal that my 4 month old baby doesn't gaze into my eyes during feedings?

She watches me when she's on her changing table or while being held by others, but when I'm feeding her or trying to get her undivided attention (just me and her ) its like she does everything to turn her head else where. Please help

worriedmom2114

Asked by worriedmom2114 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I went through a similar period of this with my son and I came to the conclusion that it had to do with his level of assurance more than anything.. When your feeding her or spending alone time with her she probably feels reassured by your undivided attention and is free to explore everything else around her. On the other hand when someone else is holding her or you've put her on the changing table she may focus on you as a way to reassure herself that your not leaving. Almost like a form of separation anxiety, which is a developmental stage for infants i'm told :) GOOD LUCK!
    MommytoGRP

Answer by MommytoGRP at 3:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My daughter loves to look around the room. =] She's only a month old, and she's so aware of her surroundings. She'll look into my eyes for a little, and then she's off again looking around the room. The world is such an interesting place.
    I believe it's perfectly normal. =]
    DementedPsyche

Answer by DementedPsyche at 5:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Mine always loved to look around at other things.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• yeah..dont be offended, they have short attention spans and developing eyesite. when she does look at you, smile alot! soon enough shell be looking at you all the time.
    briyeti

Answer by briyeti at 11:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2008