My daughter's parakeet laid an egg last night! Ok, what now?

What do i do? how do i care for this egg. My DH just got these birds in September. I had no idea they would make a lil family. Need help!

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Pets

• my brid used to lay an egg every 3-4 months..i let her keep it for a day or two and then removed it from the cage..then she got old and just stopped laying them
    girl_in_the_D

Answer by girl_in_the_D at 1:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• we had a bird that laid eggs every so often but there was no way they were fertilized(we only had the one bird). We just took the egg out of the cage. But call the pet store or the vet. They can tell you what to do or what book to get.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:25 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My mom had a bird she thought laid an egg(my brother went outside and got another birds egg and put it in the cage trying to mess with her,she belived it for like 2 wks)but she went and got a book at the pet store that told her everything she would need to know about it.Maybe you could look it up on the internet too,Sorry I couldnt be more help.
    kat247

Answer by kat247 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i want to add, there are 2 birds in the cage. One male and one female.
    WifeyandMom71

Answer by WifeyandMom71 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• wow never thought this could happen, I have no idea except call local vet to ask.They always help when they can.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• a lamp..warming one, from the pet store..unless they don't sit on they're egg's to keep them warm lol. I'd say hit the nearest pet store or find a bird lover, or internet search!
    Anonymous

• Do research and maybe let nature take its course.
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 5:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Awe I don't like birds but looks like you might have a little birdie family...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 6:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2009