HELP!!! I think my Milk is drying out!!

I ate oatmeal, I increased my water intake. I am nursing AND pumping more... I don't know what else to do. My son is only 5 months. It seems like this happened out of the blue for no reason at all. I can only get about 3 oz when I pump if I am lucky! Did this happen to anyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First off pumping is NOT an indicator of supply, no pump can remove milk from the breast the same efficient way a child can.

If your child is having at least 6 wet diapers in 24 hrs, he/she is getting enough. It is possible that your child is going through a growth spurt and is increasing your supply to his/her new need level. So kids will increase nursing when they don't feel well or are teething, check for sign of both.

It you are sure that you milk quantity is dropping contact an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, they are specialists in lactation and can address the underlying problem. You can find a local IBCLC (in many cases covered by health insurance and is definably MUCH cheaper then having to buy formula and bottles) by going to http://www.ilca.org/falc.html.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 11:37 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• try mother;s milk tea and fenugreek
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 11:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It happens to me when i dont nurse as much during the day when I am at work
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• pumping isn't a good indicator of supply. A better indicator is diaper counts. This could be a growth spurt(can take up to a week to get back to normal). Here is a link that will give you what to look for as well as what you can do if your supply really is low http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:30 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I went through that too - It seemed like I was very low all of a sudden. After I got all upset and worried about it, a few days later it came back. My baby was just going through a growth spurt.
    Samantha19

Answer by Samantha19 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It doesn't matter what you pump. I won't repeat what others have said but I'll second it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Fenugreek is suggested but it doesn't state that its for that specifically. I just recently got a supplement at Whole Foods and it's called Lactation Assistant and it has Fenugreek in it and I also got the Organic Mothers milk tea. It seems to be helping. I take 2 caplets a day and drink a cup of tea at nite. good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009