Other religions beliefs

Ok so I've been thinking about this for a while, still not sure what is right. I'm a Christian, I believe in God and Jesus. Some of my friends are of other religions, or are agnostic. One friend believes in a higher power, he's just not sure it's God. Another friend is Wiccan. She believes in the Goddess and also more like "Mother Earth". Both are excellent people, and they are some of the nicest, most caring people I know. However, when the topic of religion comes up, do I accept their beliefs as right, or do I stand firm in my belief that God is God and not accept their beliefs as being right? The agnostic friend, I can continually tell him God is the higher power but it isn't going to change his mind because that is something you have to find for yourself. However is it right to see the Goddess as possibly just being another form of God? Not sure if I explained that correctly or not but hopefully you will get what I mean.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You can only stand firm in beliefs if you are firm in your beliefs. It sounds like you may be questioning them. Maybe you should do some looking in to their beliefs. And see exactly what they believe. I am pagan (not Wiccan) and my husband is christian... my mother is JW... we have some very interesting religious discussions in this house. lol! But we are all respectful of each others beliefs. Although we don't agree with one another we also don't push out beliefs on one another. we are all rather happy that way. So I would say to you that maybe you should look in to their beliefs as (from what I see) you don't understand them. And Then maybe it will be a little easier for you to understand where they are coming from.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:46 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think as a Christian is important to stand firm on your beliefs but also not to belittle your friends beliefs.
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 11:39 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Their beliefs are just that, THEIRS just as your beliefs are YOURS. Beliefs are personal and you won't change someone's mind on it. However in order to be able to discuss matters regarding religion and beliefs I find it makes the conversation go more smoothly if you are willing to address the possibility that someone else might be right. Or rather to put your self in their shoes and try to see things from their perspective as well. At the very least you should accept that their beliefs are right FOR THEM.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i would look at it like this, that if they believe it and it works for them then it's right for them just not right for you. always stand firm in what you believe and let others stand firm in what they believe and just let the lord be the one to tell us what really is right at the time of judgment. what doesn't get done here will get done in heaven.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• BTW... Wiccans DO believe in a God also. Not just a Goddess...

• Can you simply accept that they have their beliefs and value them, just as you value yours? Do you have to somehow 'sanction' their beliefs in your own mind or can you just recognize what they believe and live and let live? I have many friends of different faiths (including my dh) and I just try to practice religious tolerance... meaning that I support their right to believe as they choose, even if I personally do not believe it. We have some interesting discussions and learn a lot about other faiths because we aren't trying to prove that one or the other is right in their thinking/beliefs. Personally I think it can only be good to learn about the beliefs of others... we don't need to believe them ourselves, but knowledge gives more understanding.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I don't see this as being something that needs to be discussed. You can acknowledge and respect other faiths without losing ground on your own beliefs. As a Christian, stand firm in your faith that there is only one God and his son.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• As a pagan witch, I have my own beliefs, but do not believe I have to "convert" anyone. All I ask in return is the same respect that I give others to believe in whatever they choose.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Well, I think that you can not accept as right someone's belief which contradicts yours, but you can respect and love someone though he/she has a different belief than yours. One thing with Christianity, that we are blamed is the conversion issue. Each time I share my belief in Jesus with someone else, I do not do it out of a blind zeal to convert people, but it is the core of my belief that there is no salvation out of Jesus and that people will go to hell without him, it is a love compelling that makes me even make myself a fool or "intolerant" in order to share what I believe it is crucial for someone well being. I think most people do not understand this. As a Christian, I can not sit and watch and play the "tolerant" guy, but also I am responsible for the way I share my beliefs, that counts.
    r_b

Answer by r_b at 12:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• OP--SabrinaMBowen, Thanks for the reply. I don't know much about the Wiccan's beliefs. I know that they stand for things that would be mostly seen as good by God, so I don't have issues with that. I have no problems with people treating the Earth as something to be revered. I've never heard her refer to a God though, just the Goddess. I have decided to do some more looking into it. I won't change my beliefs but this way I can have a more informed discussion. Thanks!
    Anonymous