What should I do?

I am expecting a new baby on July 17th. My daughter will be almost 20 months old when the baby is born. I don't want to buy another crib, I am wanting to put the new baby in her crib. But I'm not sure if she is old enough to be taken out of her crib..she doesn't try to climb out of it, and I don't think she can yet, and she loves her crib! It is one of the cribs that transitions into a toddler bed. She also has a day bed that I was going to wait until she was more towards 3 to put her in. I'm just at a loss for what to do. Should I just go ahead right now and change her crib into the bed and see how that goes, and then when it's closer to the lil one being here, move her into the bigger bed and get a safety rail? Or should I just get the new baby a bassinet to keep my daughter in her crib as long as I can? I'm just not sure :( What would you ladies do?

SandraB383

Asked by SandraB383 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would take the rail off and see how she does in the bed. If she does bad then you know that you will need to get another crib. But if she does good switch her to the day bed. Stick with it. And tell her that she is a big girl now. I did it with my son and he loves his big boy bed! Good Luck!!
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My son at 20 months would not stay in a bed at all!! We did not put side rails on but I'm sure he would have climbed over them. I just bought a bassinet!! Maybe if you start now with side rails than she won't notice the difference much?!
    JustUsTwo

Answer by JustUsTwo at 11:52 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I had my sons 18 months apart and about 2 months before my second child was born we moved our oldest into a toddler bed. It was rough for a couple of weeks once he realized he wasn't confined to a "cage" but now he does wonderful. My youngest was put in a toddler bed when he turns about 16 months also and it worked beautifully for us.
    ilovemyboys2

Answer by ilovemyboys2 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I'd buy a bassinet for the baby which would give your oldest several more months before transitioning her into the day bed with a rail. If you really want to spare cash on a bassinet buy an inexpensive one, I did, and it worked beautifully for 2 kids. I bought mine at a garage sale (it was a person I knew) and then I just bought new sheets. All of the material came off and was washable and it cost me $10. You can also find less expensive ones at Walmart, Target.

Just make sure your oldest is adjusted nicely in her new "beautiful big girl bed with her favorite character bedspread" before putting baby in her old crib. Best Wishes to you! It will all work out!
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Thanks for the input ladies =] I think I will just go ahead and get the bassinet, I don't want to make too many changes for my daughter at once, I think it will be tough enough with a new baby coming around, let alone me taking her crib from her!
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't move her out of her bed if she loves it, bad enough she has to give up her baby status! But I'm sure you'll make the right decision when the time comes.
    RedHatLinda

Answer by RedHatLinda at 2:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• MY 2nd was born 1 wk after the the oldest's 2nd birthday. What we did to get him ready was we bought a bassinet for the new baby, and about 2 mo. before the baby was born we transitioned our oldest into a toddler bed. We let him pick out the bed, he "helped" put it together, he picked out new sheets for it, after he was used to the new bed we took the crib down and out of the room (both children would be sharing a room). When #2 was born the bassinet and new baby stayed in mine and husbands room for about 3 months, and then when he needed the crib my husband put it back up. My oldest showed no interest in wanting the crib back.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009