Pointing?

My two year old son pointed at a woman in a wheel chair at the mall the other day. He was saying look look. Not being rude obviously but he really likes wheels so he was pointing to the wheels not at the person!! So I mean what do you say??

JustUsTwo

Asked by JustUsTwo at 11:48 AM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well obviously you can't do much about that. But if he was pointing at her wheelchair you could simply say "ooh look at the wheels!" just incase the lady could hear you and she knows that your child isn't pointing at her.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 11:50 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think most people would understand that a toddler is curious about their world. We lived next to a boy in a wheelchair, so we never had that problem. However, he did say "I dont like black people" in front of a black person. Im not sure why, I never had a problem with different races. He doesnt think about that anymore, now that hes a little older.
    MBsMom2004

Answer by MBsMom2004 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Since you know what he was pointing for, you talk to him about that. "Yes, I know! That lady has a chair with wheels. Isn't that neat?"
    As he gets older and his interest changes to "why does the chair have wheels" then you explain that some people have a hard time walking or can't walk at all, so they sit in a special chair with wheels and roll where they want to go instead of walking.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My mother loves to tell everyone that when I was two years old and the man taking our tickets for the ferry was bald, that I pointed at him and yelled "Mommy that man has no hair!" Toddlers are going to embarrass their parents on a regular basis. If your son was looking at the wheels, I would loudly say something like "Yes, honey that chair has very big wheels! Do you like them?" I would smile and nod at the woman, maybe say hello as well because a common complaint from people who are disabled is that no one looks them in the eye and acknowledges they're even there. I think that would make the woman feel nice.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 12:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My mom said when I was little I talked to every wineo at the grocery store and they would follow u s around, so I guess we all do it and our kids do it too, its just a phase and they really don't understand what they are saying is embarrassing to us.
    katandtysmom

Answer by katandtysmom at 3:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2009