A going away party.... Food IDEAS needed PLEASE ☺

Okay so my sons going away (joined the Military) / birthday party is coming up really soon (on Nov. 19th) we are expecting between like 50-70 (give or take a few) people to stop over throughout the evening. I need CHEAP food ideas that go far ☺ Last year when he turned 18 we did a HUGE ham, but there was less people here. I also had potato salad, mac & chz, some guests brought dishes (which I already know some are) and other various foods. My dilemma.... the control panel for my oven burnt out (like sparks flew it was scary!!) and now I am down to my stove top, grill & microwave. I live in Florida so grill ideas are no big deal because we will mostly be outside anyhow.

Food ideas PLEASE & Thank you so much for your ideas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Nov. 8, 2011 in Entertainment

• -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2011

• Do you have a crockpot? If so you can make a big batch of red beans and rice. It goes a long way and is very cheap.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 8, 2011

• What about a taco bar? You could put the meat in a crockpot and put the lettuce, tomatoes, olives, and whatever else needs to be kept cold in bowls, then put that bowl in another bowl that has ice in it.

If you have a crockpot, you can make just about anything that you can in an oven.

Sloppy joes are a big hit here. And fairly cheap. Does your grocery store have an industrial size aisle? It might be worth checking out.
    For my wedding reception, my mom made a crock pot full of baked beans, a crock pot full of sloppy joes, had some chips, got the buns cheap since my brother worked at McDonald's, frosted a couple angel food cakes and had a couple cases of off brand soda. It was cheap and everyone loved it.

Hats off to your son for joining the military.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:03 AM on Nov. 8, 2011

• Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2011

• Where's ChristmasIver when you need her? She posts some excellent recipes - you could look back on her history ....
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2011

• use a crockpot and make pulled pork sandwiches, taco meat for make your own taco, veg and fruit trays, make your own subs, make a pot roast in a crockpot and then bake pts in the microwave and do mac and cheese on the stove top, cracker and meat tray, dessert from the store or can make dessert in the microwave the day before hand, kabobs with ham and pineapple and green peppers, fruit salad or can make a cold pasta salad,
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 7:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2011