Does anyone elses kid have a wierd relationship with a pet? Like its a brother or sister?

My 4 yr old plays with our cat a lot. But he also fights with it. The cat is only 6 months, so he is pretty frisky. He chases my son when he runs around the house. My son plays cars with him on the kitchen floor, but sometimes tells the cat that he is playing with a certain car and the cat cant have that one.
Its almost like they are brothers.

MBsMom2004

Asked by MBsMom2004 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Pets

• My boys both did this around 3-5 yrs with our black lab. It went so far as when they would kiss us goodnight..the dog got a kiss too. Blaming potty accidents on the dog was funny though.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• ok then.
    Anonymous

• that is so cute! what a great imagination your son has.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• has nothing to do with imagination...think about it, just because the cat doesn't speak doesn't mean he cannot communicate w/your son.Right now they are about the same age and how awesome he has a lifetime friend! My son is 13 and he considers our 2 cats his bratty lil sisters and loves on them all the time.He carries them around like babies and they eat it up!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Our cats and dog are part of our family. My son plays with all of them (even with toys). We have taught him to respect our animals just like he would any human being. So, yes, we have a parent/child and sibling relationship with our furry critters.
    IrishDruidMama

Answer by IrishDruidMama at 2:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• That sounds Cute! They can grow up together... I love it! I am happy when Children can have pets growing up!! They're Very Lucky!! I'd love to play Cars Too!! I Love Cars!! Thank you for Sharing!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 3:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My youngest absolutely will not go to bed day or night if she hasn't kissed the kitty good night. She doesn't even kiss me most of the time. We got him just before I got pregnant with her so he has always been here with her. Makenzie will be 2 in February and Spunky will be 3 in March.
    abmm

Answer by abmm at 10:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I was an only child- my mom was not supposed to be able to have kids and prior to my arrival she had a dog who was treated like 'their baby.' Once I arrived, they continued to treat the dog like a baby, enough that when I was in kindergarten I told my teacher that I had a sister named Shiloh who was a Welsh Corgi! LOL! We did behave somewhat like siblings... she would try to take my toys and I would shout for my mom and she would come and break up our 'spat.' Funny... she was a good dog!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2009