What do you do?

My dd is 13 months old and VERY active. What do activities do you do with your toddler. Its cold outside and all she wants to do is destroy and get into things. I DO pay attention to her and play with her but when its time for me to stop and get some stuff done she just destroys! She doesnt really seem interested in toys just getting my attention by acting up. So what do you do with your child as an acutal acitivity and something different besides playing with toys?

kelsbecca619

Asked by kelsbecca619 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well I guess I can look at the question above me.. b/c it was posted right after mine...
    kelsbecca619

Answer by kelsbecca619 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• if she doesn't put things into her mouth you can try letting her poor or dig in dry beans.
    non toxit finger paint
    playdough that they can eat (low mess and they are stuck in high chair so you can get a few things done)
    let her rip paper
    coloring maybe
    if you can bring a sild into the house for he to play on
    we would let our now 2.5 son jump on the bed to get energy out

mylilredheadboy

Answer by mylilredheadboy at 12:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• sorry needed to mention.. she eats everything!!! Put everything in her mouth... Ic ant let her rip b.c she eats paper....geeez
    kelsbecca619

Answer by kelsbecca619 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Get out the pots, pans, wooden spoons and "get the band back together".

Put her in her highchair with some pudding and let her "finger paint".

Get some bubble wrap and let her pop the bubbles.

Fill a zip loc bag with shaving cream and let her squish it around.

Make a fort in your living room with cushions, pillows, and blankets then play in there.

Give her a bowl and spoon to "cook" with in her high chair while you're throwing dinner together.

See if those inspire you! Have fun!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 12:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My son was never into toys at that age either. I always just let him "help" with whatever i am doing. If i dolaundry he has a stack to "fold" if i make dinner he has a pot and a spoon if i empty the dishwasher he "puts away his dishes. Yes, it takes MUCH longer that way but it keeps him busy and i guess he's learning how to clean up after himself. lol.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• ahh thanks ladies!!!
    kelsbecca619

Answer by kelsbecca619 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Children love to play in totes!!!! or even Diaper boxes!!! All my children-LOVE THIS! My youngest is 8mo. old! I put her in a diaper box @ Christmas w/a few toys-and she just sat there and played for at least a half hour all nice and content!!! If you have a playpen=possibly put her in it w/some toys that are like the shape sorter type things and have her figure those out for awhile while you do some work around the house, and take a break here and there to play w/her and what not! Hope this helps!
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My daughter is 14 months and the same way. I kept finding her in my closet. So I picked up everything off the floor in there and let her play in it. That seems to work for a while. I made a cabinet for her that she can take everything out of too.

I don't know if you have a dog, but we do, and she loves to play with him.. it keeps her entertained for a relatively long time.

Also, I try to take her out as much as possible to get her tired out. Swimming at the indoor pool at the YMCA is fun and relatively cheap.

But the other posts are great ways to have her be entertained and good luck!
    Mom2vanna

Answer by Mom2vanna at 3:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• When I do dishes she helps (and we don't have a dishwasher) when I vacuum she helps (usually rides piggy back in the sling). I get more done (even if it dosn't happen very fast) when I include her in the house chores.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 4:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2009