I need some advice for my constipated baby.

My 8 month old baby girl will go everyday or every other which is fine except she screams and screams when shes trying to push it out. Her poor little hole is stretched till it looks like its going to rip because the stool is so hard and wide, then it falls apart into large oddly shaped peices. My pediatrician said to give her sugar water... but thats not doing anything for her. Is there any real mom advice for me?

nicholeluvslucy

Asked by nicholeluvslucy at 12:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pear juice! works really fast on my boys and tastes better than prune! Also cut out bannanas(they can plug u up). In general adding pears to her diet would help
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Karo syrup around a tablespoon in an ounce of warm water
    Prune juice
    Apple juice
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I had this same problem. I thought I was alone. We used to have to sit with our son for a good thirty min. just holding up his legs. The doctor made me give our son a laxitive but my son was older than 8 months so idk about that. I know apple juice and prune juice are good.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• chiropractor can do wonders for her too
    Lynette

• When my daughter was that age, our doctor told us to use glyceryn (sp) suppositories. I would talk to your doctor about that but be careful and only use them when you really have to.
    KathMW

Answer by KathMW at 12:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My little guy went through just being constipated and my mom & gram said to use kayro syrup in water and it seemed to work. Also I read that prunes are suppose to help along with Apple Juice. Try that. Good Luck.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• pear juice and lots of water throught that day.......poor little gil, hope it helps g/l
    Anonymous

• feed her them baby prunes!! worked for my lil one =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• don't use karo syrup, i post this over and over. right on their website it says there is a risk of botulism.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2009