Does this sound unreasonable, how to get rid of kid's toys??

So, I have 3 kids, they tooooo many toys, so, I was thinking, what if once a year, before Hanukkah/Christmas, when the family always spoils them with toys, if I were to tell them to pick their 5 favorite toys and the rest go to charity? Does that seem cruel, or harsh? I mean right now they have so many toys you cannot walk in their room, and even when they keep their room clean, you can't fit them all into their toy bins.

Petie

Asked by Petie at 12:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• No and I def. need to do this for my son he has his room and a playroom full. Maybe tell them that you are going to help out other kids that need toys or something like that.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Not at all! When I was younger my parents had each of us pack up a big box of toys to give away every year before Christmas. It got harder to do as we got older though because we did a good job of weeding things out on our own over the year, so my parents eventually did away with the whole thing (like when we reached our teens and what-not).
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• ONLY PICK 5???!!! Yeah that sounds kinda mean. I make my son get rid of a lot of toys before Christmas to make room for the new ones. But only keep 5? Man, i thought I was a tough mama.
    Anonymous

• Depending on how many toys they get, it could be harsh. But here's an idea that you might want to consider.
    Go and clean out the toys, get rid of anything that is broken or missing pieces. And for the next stage the kids are involved, have them help you figure out what they dont play with any more and what they like the best to keep and put them in different piles. Then donate the toys that are in good condition. You dont have to wait until the holidays to do this ether, just do it when you have a big cleaning day or something.
    LadyUsagi

Answer by LadyUsagi at 12:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Before the holidays we go through all toy bins, shelves and boxes. Anything broken or missing pieces go away. Anything they haven't played with for 6 months..goes away. If they throw a fit about something I mentally tag it. If it isn't played with in January it generally goes then too.
    I think once you get things pared down some using a number might work. I wouldn't start there and I would def. use more than 5. That sounds like a recipe for boredom to me.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i would let them pick out more than five.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with that. For Christmas this year my sister had her, almost, 3 year old pick out two toys to give to her baby cousins and she loved giving them toys.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Twice a year before Christmas and birthdays I clean out my twins toys they are only four. . This way there is room for their new stuff. Toys they no longer play with, outgrown etc. I donate them to charity.  When people ask what to get my child for a gift I usually ask for clothes, or savings bonds (from family) there is a local indoor play place my boys love to go to it's $10.00 per child for the day, I have asked for a gift card.  People rather get what is needed than have you give a gift they gave your child away.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• We always go through the toys before Christmas and toss whatever is broken or gets ignored. I don't have a set number, I just want rid of the junk.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• OMG! same here, only I have 5 kids. can u imagine the mess of toys here??
    but to anser your question, Yea, 5 toys is a bit harsh. I had to buy them each a toy bin & tell them whatever doesnt fit has to go to the salvation army so fill up the bin with your absolute favorites. It worked. Every 6 months we will go over it again. Its terrible, I know! When a toy brakes in this house, I jump for joy. One less toy! lol
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2009