Im pregnant with my first child. I hear that having a glass of red wine every once in awhile with dinner is good for you. Is this true? will it hurt the baby?

Red wine?

Jennyv143

Asked by Jennyv143 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• In other countries most people that are pregnant have a glass of wine a day. But i guarantee you that someone is going to say no dont be selfish your going to hurt your baby etc. its kinda controversial.... i guess its up to you. :) best of luck
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My dr told me even one beer is fine. I second what Kelsobabeyy says...lots of naysayers...it's just a decision you'll have to make.

Alcohol fetal syndrome comes from people who are drinking like bottles of tequila and stuff...One beer or one glass of wine is fine...it doesn't even have to be red wine. But that's what my doc told me. You should get a couple of opinions from docs you trust.
    lrobles1983

Answer by lrobles1983 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Okay well I will be the naysayer. I have two children one with autism and one with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. I have read alot about FAS and they say they are not sure if even just one glass will cause FAS. I just would not risk it. I do understand my two son's mother was an alcoholic and drug abuser. I am not saying I completely understand but with my FAS child I would definately not risk it. My DAN! dr told me that they are not sure if just one glass can do it. Okay I am done with my comments. Good luck with your decision
    Mommymorris

Answer by Mommymorris at 4:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Thanks guys. I been hearing this from alot of people...but I think im gonna pass on it. I can sooo wait for a glass to make sure my little one is ok :)
    Jennyv143

Answer by Jennyv143 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I'll be a naysayer, too. It's not "alcohol fetal syndrome" it's Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. There is no set amount of what will and will not cause damage to the baby. You're gambling with your child's future. I live with my cousin who's got FAS, and he will never be able to leave home. He cannot function on his own. He is 18 and acts like he's 8. Seriously, do you want risk it??
    CreativeSpirit

Answer by CreativeSpirit at 5:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I HAVE HEARD THAT HAVING A GLASS OF WINE A DAY IS GOOD FOR YOU IN FACT MY STEP-DAD HAD TO HAVE A TRIPLE BI-PASS AND HIS DR. TOLD HIM TO DRINK A GLASS A DAY. AS FOR BEING PREG. I SAY NO WAY...ALTHOUGH IN MOST CASES IT WILL NO HURT THE BABY...EVEN ONE DRINK CAN CAUSE FETAL ALCOHOL SYNDROM...SO I WOULDNT RISK EVEN ONE SIP...LET ALONE ONE GLASS NO MATTER HOW LOW THE RISK!
    srj-7128

Answer by srj-7128 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• put a raw egg in a bowl. pour a glass of wine on it. it will cook some of hte egg. i saw this on oprah. since egg is similiar, i'd say dont do it. but if you are going to, please feew and far between. why risk your baby's health?
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 8:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• You already stated that you would not be drinking, but for those who are curious about it too I thought I would pass this on. By the time you feel a slight buzz from alcohol your child has passed out drunk.
    beanurd

Answer by beanurd at 11:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I don't think I would risk it.
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 2:32 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• http://alcoholism.about.com/od/preg/a/blacer060603.htm

You might be interested in this article, which states that even light to moderate drinking leads to a lower IQ in your baby. I think there are many children out there (especially the ones born to mothers way back in the day when drinking was acceptable) who may have been just a bit more intelligent if it hadn't been for the drinking.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:56 AM on Jul. 17, 2008