Soda Pop for breakfast?

I do childcare in the home and I have a parent that brought their 5yo dd with a bag of dry cereal and a can of orange pop for nreakfast. Maybe it's just me but I would never give my kids pop for breakfast. Yesterday the mom griped because she had a pb&j sandwich after lunch to eat but then brings her with pop for breakfast. Does anyone else give their kids pop for breakfast or is it just me that thinks a 5yo does not need the caffeine and sugar that early in the morning? What does everyone else think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I think that mother is plain out stupid and lazy!
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• can't even imagine giving my child soda that early in the day
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Some people think because it's "Orange" it's like juice maybe...Also I have a feeling some people do not know that orange soda has caffeine.

I agree with you terrible choice. At that age soda shoud be once in awhile at a bday party. My 6.5 year old son has never even had soda either. There is no point to it.

If her son likes orange, actual orange juice would be a much better alternative. They even sale school size containers at Target etc...in the cold aisle.
    Anonymous

• She must think that because it's orange it can be substituted for Orange Juice. lol

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I drank pop for breakfast when I was about 15, but my parents weren't there in the mornings. My mother still looks at me funny when I order soda when we go out for breakfast. However, my child doesn't get soda except for with dinner occasionally. That way I can make sure he gets a lot of water and some milk during the day before he gets anything else.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Be direct and let them know, it is unexceptable for them to have it. My kids have soda as a treat, with Pizza once in a while, for Birthdays, occassions, but I try to limit it. :) Good Luck!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I have home day care also and after 16 years I've run across some parents that do things that I wouldn't do with my children or any ones for that matter. Soda for breakfast...yep been there – done that! Just because she brings it doesn't mean you have to serve it. I've just put the can away and given the child milk instead. You don't have to say anything it's not your job to tell her she shouldn't give that to her child because bottom line it's just your opinion and she obviously doesn't share it with you. Is it wrong? I think so but I also think that it's your house and you can serve what you feel is healthy.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Cont…If she objects to the PB&J then let her know that's what was on the menu for the day and if she would like she can bring an alternative for her child. I've done that before also but of course said it in a nice way. It's a tricky job working together and communication is the key but if you don't feel you can talk to her about the soda...ingnore it and give the child a glass of milk instead.
    Good Luck : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Sounds like the mom needs to be more prepared before leaving in the morning.  If she is complaining that you fed her daughter a P&J sandwich for lunch while she gives her child soda for breakfast there is something wrong with her.  At least peanut butter has some nutritiousvalue. I must admit when my daughter was three all she wanted when she first woke up was a Popsicle.  After her Popsicle she would eat oatmeal, fresh fruit for breakfast.  This drove my mom crazy, I felt as long as my daughter eats a healthy breakfast the time of day she eats a Popsicle should not matter.  I just started to buy juice and make my own Popsicles.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Have you considered that maybe this mother was picking her battles with this 5 year old? Honestly, of my kids was pitching a fit in the morning about wanting soda with his breakfast, I'd probably give it to him and just make sure he only had water to drink the rest of the day. It wouldn't be worth the power struggle to me. Now, if it's something that happens a few times a week, then that's different. However, this is her child and she has the right to raise him as she see fit, not how you see fit. Let it go.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009